Wanadoo 2MB upgrade

Old July 31st 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Wanadoo 2MB upgrade

Im with Freeserve, wanadoo or whatever they want to call themselves now.

But, Im wondering if there is a catch.

Do they upgrade the speed for 20, but do they cap the bandwidth to 2Gig or
6Gig, or do they leave you on the Unlimited account as i was on previously?

I have just emailed them to confirm, but not heard anything as yet, but it
is still weekend.

Other companies offer upgrades for free, but not wanadoo?

Nice how companies, treat their existing customers, leaving you on slow
bandwidths, whilst giving new users full bandwidth.

Old July 31st 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Jul 2005 17:20, "Mike" wrote:

Other companies offer upgrades for free, but not wanadoo?

well, the bulk deal was costing a fiver per end user. Maybe Wanadoo did
not consider it sensible spending (I don't know how many customers there
are, but if it was, say, 1 million, then that's a fair few quid :-)

Nice how companies, treat their existing customers, leaving you on slow
bandwidths, whilst giving new users full bandwidth.

If you've seen the posts here in u.t.b over the past few months, there've
been quite a number of customers asking 'when oh when' and to some degree
the ISPs are not to blame, given that BT Wholesale seems to be needing to
regrade maybe 3 million connections... Plus.Net was pestered to publish a
schedule of dates, and these have mostly *not* been met (people had dates
of April, May, June and while some have been altered, some haven't yet no
change has yet been made to their connection). Some people have paid the
fees that the ISP charges (in the case of Plus.Net it was 14.99) for BT W
to do the regrade. BT W charges 11.00 +VAT (I think) so looks like your
ISP is doing a bit more profiteering than most (PN made the offer of free
regrading, along with lots of other ISPs, but still allows people to make
a request if they are impatient). I had been switching connection and on
returning to Plus.Net I was able to take advantage of the higher speed as
well as the low price (with no explicit cap - they have 'fair use' rules,
to stop people d/l 300 GB a month every month, mind I am only close to 29
GB after a month anyway...)

Old July 31st 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Mike" wrote in message
Im with Freeserve, wanadoo or whatever they want to call themselves now.

But, Im wondering if there is a catch.

Do they upgrade the speed for 20, but do they cap the bandwidth to 2Gig
or 6Gig, or do they leave you on the Unlimited account as i was on
previously?

If you're on the 512k unlimited package for 27.99 then you can stay on
that. If you choose upgrade to the 2Mb speed (or 1Mb if your line won't
support 2Mb) then you will be placed on one of the 3 capping limits, 2, 6
or 30Gb whichever you choose at the time.

Ivor

Old July 31st 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:59:43 +0100, poster
wrote:

BT W charges 11.00 +VAT (I think) so looks like your
ISP is doing a bit more profiteering than most

while slagging off BT for making the charge in an open letter type
advert in the papers :-)

Phil

Old July 31st 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Jul 2005 18:39, Phil Thompson wrote:

while slagging off BT for making the charge in an open letter type
advert in the papers :-)

Really ? Must admit to not buying any newspapers and only regularly get the
free papers, though they hardly even get opened... just saved on one side for
the recycling collections... Of course I'm "missing out" on newspaper ads,
but that's not too much of a loss :-)

I've just seen the Guardian article "BT and Wanadoo in broadband battle" and
as to my earlier post, I was wrong on the numbers... from that paper, it
seems Wanadoo has 1.7m dial-up customers and 720k broadband customers
while BT is said to have 1.7m broadband customers. Peter M.

Old July 31st 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 31 Jul 2005, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

If you're on the 512k unlimited package for 27.99

They were charging me 19.99 a month for that in 2003... I was one of the
early 'wires only' trial users when it first went live... 29.99... then a
few months later, maybe August 2002, they dropped the fee for users (a
bit behind general reductions across the board from other ISPs... even
at 29.99 I had been fairly happy when I knew someone was paying BT 39.99
and was only online 3 months before me, under the free engineer install
deal the BT Openworld was doing back then.... Freeserve was slower to
drop prices, but it was still good value... just makes the price I pay
now so much better value!!)

Mine went down well below the 27.99 to the rate they were charging DSG
employees, perhaps using a start date as a way to select who got the
reductions and thus including some or all the group who had trialled the
service. I had been planning to leave (on the basis I'd get out before
they charged the amount owing!) but I need not have worried, they just
indicated we had been undercharged and it was their error, so they
weren't chasing us for it after all... Peter M.

Old July 31st 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Thanks Ivor to the specific clarification of the upgrade being capped.

I pay 19.99 per month for the 512 uncapped.

So, so much of an upgrade, 2mbit, but 2Meg cap. What a waste of time.

I agree that AOl, who i have slagged off for years offer the best service.
Silver account. Modem, 2mbit and unlimited for 17.99

and after having installing two for people recently, and having finally
found a way to get round they dedicated software, may become a very good
thought of quadrupling my speed for 3 per month less.

Cheers all
Mike

Old August 1st 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Mike" wrote in message
Thanks Ivor to the specific clarification of the upgrade being capped.

I pay 19.99 per month for the 512 uncapped.

So, so much of an upgrade, 2mbit, but 2Meg cap. What a waste of time.

I agree that AOl, who i have slagged off for years offer the best
service. Silver account. Modem, 2mbit and unlimited for 17.99

and after having installing two for people recently, and having finally
found a way to get round they dedicated software, may become a very good
thought of quadrupling my speed for 3 per month less.

Cheers all
Mike

I've recently started using a router that has a built in usage meter. I'm
a very light user and for the last few months I have been averaging 1.7 to
1.8 Gb per month, so the 2Gb cap would probably be ok for me. Anyone know
if they enforce it and what happens when you reach the limit..? Are you
cut off for the remainder of the month or do they just charge you extra..?

Ivor

Old August 1st 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

Default Wanadoo advert (long)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:30:24 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

yes, I'll try to scan it and stick it up somewhere.

on the other hand a full page ad in the Telegraph exceeds my scanning
abilities, so....

"Dear BT

As you can imagine, we were incredibly flattered last week when we saw
that BT had followed Wanadoo's lead in making 2 Meg its standard
broadband offer for customers.

We don't blame you for trying to emulate the great deals we give - but
let's be honest, our customers are still going to be a lot better off
than yours.

For their 17.99, Wanadoo customers get up to 2 Meg *wireless*
broadband. They also get *free off-peak calls* to UK landlines with
our included Wireless & Talk service and are able to download *twice
as much* as your customers each and every month for the same price.

Plus they don't have to pay 25 for a plain old modem - instead, they
get the *free, stunning Wanadoo Livebox wireless modem* as part of
their package.

OK, we may have to charge 20 to upgrade an existing customer to 2 Meg
- but you know why that is don't you ? Yes, it's because you folks at
BT charge us to do it. Still, local loop unbundling will sort that
issue out won't it?

But even with that regrade charge, our customers end up saving more
and getting a lot more than yours do.

So BT, if you really want to 'reward' your customers and give them the
chance to benefit from a genuinely top value 2 Meg broadband offer -
why not give them this number? - Wanadoo registration line 0800 197
0146

Regards,

Your friends at Wanadoo"

Terms & conditions (small print)
New customers only. BT or similar line required.Usage allowances and
12 month contract apply, subject to availability compatibility and
survey. If your line won't support 2 Meg, we'll give you the best
speed for your line. Wireless & Talk subscription free for the 1st six
months then only 4 a month. If you decide not to keep Wireless & Talk
you must return the Wireless & Talk connection pack. Free evening and
weekend calls to UK landlines. Call charges apply at other times. Call
restrictions apply. Wireless & Talk not compatible with Apple
Macintosh computers. See www.wanadoo.co.uk/terms for full terms and
conditions.

31/07/05 Sunday Telegraph, p12.
Soon to appear at the ASA I guess.

Phil

Old August 1st 05, 05:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 01 Aug 2005 00:17, Phil Thompson wrote:

SNIP Thanks for that, Phil.

OK, we may have to charge 20 to upgrade an existing customer to 2 Meg
- but you know why that is don't you ? Yes, it's because you folks at
BT charge us to do it.

I suppose the retort could be "The charges we make are under scrutiny
by Ofcom. We usually charge 11.00 + VAT, but ran a special offer for
ISPs so it would cost them only 5.00 +VAT per customer to process all
customer lines in bulk. Several ISPs absorbed this fee for existing
customers, rather than charge them more than treble the cost!" PGM