Blueyonder hostname question

Old July 31st 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Blueyonder hostname question

Blueyonder hostnames end something like town.blueyonder.co.uk, can
anyone tell me would "town" be the name of the town the person is in or
would it just mean they are near that town?

Old August 1st 05, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

In article . com,
() wrote:

Blueyonder hostnames end something like town.blueyonder.co.uk, can
anyone tell me would "town" be the name of the town the person is in or
would it just mean they are near that town?

The four letters in the host name are the abbreviated cable head end
location. Telewest publishes a list on it's web site where the names
are not obvious, such as Aztec which is Bristol. The headends are not
necessarily located in the centre of an area, and Croydon covers the
whole of south London.

These are a few examples that have pinged me this evening, probably
all virus infected PCs (the firewall stops them doing anything nasty):

82-40-72-180.cable.ubr10.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk
82-40-84-135.cable.ubr01.cast.blueyonder.co.uk
82-40-232-88.cable.ubr01.dumb.blueyonder.co.uk
82-41-9-229.cable.ubr02.edin.blueyonder.co.uk
82-42-43-18.cable.ubr04.knor.blueyonder.co.uk
82-42-146-223.cable.ubr01.sprt.blueyonder.co.uk
82-42-163-140.cable.ubr11.live.blueyonder.co.uk
82-43-34-114.cable.ubr01.croy.blueyonder.co.uk
82-43-210-41.cable.ubr10.newm.blueyonder.co.uk
82-43-224-105.cable.ubr01.pres.blueyonder.co.uk
82-44-150-80.cable.ubr01.haye.blueyonder.co.uk
82-45-3-86.cable.ubr06.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
82-45-183-149.cable.ubr06.dals.blueyonder.co.uk

The UBR number (Cisco universal broadband router) would narrow the area
down further, but Telewest does not publish the detail.

Angus

Old August 1st 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:08:11 GMT, "Yddap"
wrote:

In ups.com,
opined very noisily:
Blueyonder hostnames end something like town.blueyonder.co.uk, can
anyone tell me would "town" be the name of the town the person is in
or would it just mean they are near that town?

Near

at the momoent mine is showing up as
80-192-61-114.stb.ubr04.linl.blueyonder.co.uk which suggests I am in
Linlithgow, but I am actually no where near there at all - well, about
50 miles away.

It was showing up correctly as dund for Dundee until recenlty when my
ip address suddenly changed.
Old August 1st 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:39:23 GMT, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:08:11 GMT, "Yddap"
wrote:

In ups.com,
opined very noisily:
Blueyonder hostnames end something like town.blueyonder.co.uk, can
anyone tell me would "town" be the name of the town the person is in
or would it just mean they are near that town?

Near

at the momoent mine is showing up as
80-192-61-114.stb.ubr04.linl.blueyonder.co.uk which suggests I am in
Linlithgow, but I am actually no where near there at all - well, about
50 miles away.

It was showing up correctly as dund for Dundee until recenlty when my
ip address suddenly changed.

hmm, interesting.... just fouind this on their site

" In addition to dialup or Cable Modem, you might see "stb" in the
customer type. This abbreviation stands for Set Top Box, and indicates
a user that is using an Internet connection via the Telewest
interactive DTV platform."

Mine has stb in the name as well, but I am connecting through a cable
modem, not a set top box. In fact, I do not even have a TV service
from telewest.

It always used to be "cable" rather then "stb".
Old August 1st 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:45:20 GMT, Dave wrote:

Mine has stb in the name as well, but I am connecting through a cable
modem, not a set top box. In fact, I do not even have a TV service
from telewest.

It always used to be "cable" rather then "stb".

Sounds like some incorrect DNS on your IP - I've passed to the systems
guys to fix.

TFTR.

Alex

--