Demon: Opinions?

Old July 31st 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hellraiser

Default Demon: Opinions?

Thinking of moving from my expensive BY connection to Demon Homeoffice 2000
with static IP (the 24.99/month one). Anyone have any experience of this? I
used to have dialup with Demon back in the day (1996 or so), they still
decent? Good binary news server? Decent bandwidth/uptime?

Cheers

Hellraiser............

Old August 1st 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:17:57 +0100, "Hellraiser"
wrote:

Thinking of moving from my expensive BY connection to Demon Homeoffice 2000
with static IP (the 24.99/month one). Anyone have any experience of this? I
used to have dialup with Demon back in the day (1996 or so), they still
decent? Good binary news server? Decent bandwidth/uptime?

Cheers

Hellraiser............

I am not with Demon and have not used their HomeOffice 2000 product.
However, I was with them up until January on what was then the
HomeOffice 500 product. Speeds were stable, reliability was pretty
much perfect. In fact, in 14 months I my router was disconnected just
three times and uptime therefore frequently ran to thousands of hours.
Personally I find no completion problems with their news server
(though others differ, my experience was excellent).

In fact the only problem I ever experienced was a (relatively
significant) DNS issue which cropped on literally a few hours before
my migration.

If you're looking for a solid service they certainly provided it for
me.
Old August 1st 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Chard

Hellraiser wrote:
Thinking of moving from my expensive BY connection to Demon Homeoffice 2000
with static IP (the 24.99/month one). Anyone have any experience of this? I
used to have dialup with Demon back in the day (1996 or so), they still
decent? Good binary news server? Decent bandwidth/uptime?

I've had a dial-up account with Demon since 1994, and a couple of months
ago I moved to HomeOffice 1000. I've never had more than a technical
hitch with either account, and apart from a few billing hiccups at the
changeover point I have no complaints. Uptime is faultless, bandwidth
is almost always good, news server works for me (although I haven't
used it for binaries in a /long/ time -- didn't even know people still
did that!).

- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Unix & Network Administrator | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Old August 1st 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

I have been with Demon Home 2000 for two weeks now and very pleased
with it.I think the main difference between Home and Home office is
some web space and access to Demon newsgroups.
Cheers
Steve

Old August 1st 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hellraiser

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going back to BT, then off to Demon

Cheers

Hellraiser...........

Old August 1st 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Ian Chard
writes
Hellraiser wrote:
Thinking of moving from my expensive BY connection to Demon
Homeoffice 2000 with static IP (the 24.99/month one). Anyone have any
experience of this? I used to have dialup with Demon back in the day
(1996 or so), they still decent? Good binary news server? Decent
bandwidth/uptime?

I've had a dial-up account with Demon since 1994, and a couple of months
ago I moved to HomeOffice 1000. I've never had more than a technical
hitch with either account, and apart from a few billing hiccups at the
changeover point I have no complaints. Uptime is faultless, bandwidth
is almost always good, news server works for me (although I haven't
used it for binaries in a /long/ time -- didn't even know people still
did that!).

- Ian

Pretty much the same here, slight problems over the past few days with a
couple of disconnections late at night, not sure if that's a BT or Demon
problem yet though.
--
Clint Sharp
Old August 2nd 05, 03:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bolt

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Clint Sharp wrote:-

snip

Pretty much the same here, slight problems over the past few days with
a couple of disconnections late at night, not sure if that's a BT or
Demon problem yet though.

Possibly either, but according to my router I haven't been disconnected
well over a month, and I think that disconnect was due to a momentary
power failure.

So far my tally for the seven months are two disconnections. One that
didn't reconnect, resulted in the router picking up a strange address,
not being able to go anywhere and refusing to authenticate and reconnect
to Demons network. This eventually required a reboot to force it to
reconnect properly. The second disconnection was the above mentioned
power drop.

Other than that there have been no connection problems, although they
did manage to fsck up when setting up the direct debit. After four
months, with them having all the correct details, not even attempting to
take anything, and insisting that the direct debit was indeed set up,
they set one up while I talked to them on the phone. Not too pleased
about five months collected in one go, but it was expected.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 63 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
AMD 1800 1Gb WinXP/SuSE 9.3 | AMD 2400 160Mb SuSE 8.1 | AMD 2400 256Mb SuSE 9.0
Old August 2nd 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 1 Aug 2005 12:12:07 -0700, "Steve"
wrote:

.I think the main difference between Home and Home office is
some web space and access to Demon newsgroups.

also:-
static IP address
no need to authenticate SMTP
dial companion dialup for UK travellers
cheaper support calls
DFax fax-email gateway
can order off-line

Phil

Old August 2nd 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , David Bolt
writes
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Clint Sharp wrote:-

snip

Pretty much the same here, slight problems over the past few days with
a couple of disconnections late at night, not sure if that's a BT or
Demon problem yet though.

Possibly either, but according to my router I haven't been disconnected
well over a month, and I think that disconnect was due to a momentary
power failure.

Demon problem, happened again this morning and got a BT test domain IP
address, it's covered on the MOTD page but anchor-r26a users are
experiencing connectivity problems. Solid at the moment.
--
Clint Sharp
Old August 13th 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
socrates

Hellraiser Wrote:
Thinking of moving from my expensive BY connection to Demon Homeoffic
2000
with static IP (the 24.99/month one). Anyone have any experience o
this? I
used to have dialup with Demon back in the day (1996 or so), the
still
decent? Good binary news server? Decent bandwidth/uptime?

Cheers

Hellraiser............

I have been with Demon ADSL since Oct 2003 and whilst the service i
reliable their billing is utterly incompetent. On changing from dial u
they failed to collect by DD until June 2005! When they finally di
collect it was for 20 months plus an unexplained 75 usage charge. I
doing so without notifying me in advance they broke the terms of th
BACS scheme. They have falsely stated several times that the accoun
was correctly paid up to date. They have then asked for a new direc
debit claiming that my bank was reversing payments when in fact the
were not collecting.

I cannot comment on other ISP's reliability but I doubt any have suc
incompetent billing systems....

--
socrates