DG834G - can you turn off wireless?

Old August 1st 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Default DG834G - can you turn off wireless?

Anyone know if you can turn off the wireless part on this router?.
TIA

Old August 1st 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"Andrew" wrote in message
Anyone know if you can turn off the wireless part on this router?.
TIA

Yes. Just untick the "Enable Wireless Access Point" box on the "Wireless
Settings" page.

Old August 1st 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in message
Anyone know if you can turn off the wireless part on this router?.
TIA

Yes. Just untick the "Enable Wireless Access Point" box on the "Wireless
Settings" page.

Thx Tim.
I dont need wireless as my pc is next to the router, but if you can turn it
off, i might as well get the wireless version now for resale value later.

Old August 1st 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jambo

"Andrew" wrote in message

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in message
Anyone know if you can turn off the wireless part on this router?.
TIA

Yes. Just untick the "Enable Wireless Access Point" box on the "Wireless
Settings" page.

Thx Tim.
I dont need wireless as my pc is next to the router, but if you can turn
it
off, i might as well get the wireless version now for resale value later.

If you haven't actually bought it yet, I got mine from Amazon
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...638169-4771860)
for 66.89 a week back - the cheapest price I could find, plus free
delivery.

Jambo

Old August 1st 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"Jambo" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in message
Anyone know if you can turn off the wireless part on this router?.
TIA
Yes. Just untick the "Enable Wireless Access Point" box on the "Wireless
Settings" page.

Thx Tim.
I dont need wireless as my pc is next to the router, but if you can turn
it
off, i might as well get the wireless version now for resale value
later.

If you haven't actually bought it yet, I got mine from Amazon
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...638169-4771860)
for 66.89 a week back - the cheapest price I could find, plus free
delivery.

Jambo

Thanks for that, ill use amazon.

Any idea where i might find help for specifically setting up a VPN
connection between 2 of these models?. A firend has one of these and id
like to give it a go.
I keep reading about people using IPSec or PPTP etc but ive no idea what
they mean.

Old August 1st 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gary Williams

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:19:55 +0100, "Andrew" wrote:

:
:"Jambo" wrote in message
:
: "Andrew" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Tiny Tim" wrote in message
: ...
: "Andrew" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
You may need to upgrade the firmware to get VPN functionality. It's easy enough
to do.

I've not used the VPN tools in it yet so can't advise there.

Have a look at http://www.webopedia.com for VPN, PPTP and IPSec, it will explain
what they mean.

--
Gary Williams.
(ROT13)
Old August 2nd 05, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Andrew" wrote in message

"Jambo" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

download the reference manual for 2.10.22 firmware here - it has a good
section on setting up the VPN router to router
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834gv2.asp

Old August 2nd 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doehead

"MM" wrote in message
download the reference manual for 2.10.22 firmware here - it has a good
section on setting up the VPN router to router
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834gv2.asp

Does this latest firmware VPN stuff allow you to set the router up as a VPN
server that would allow the built-in XP client to connect?

I have no problems using VPN passthrough on the router to a XP box running
its VPN server software, but I'd like to be able to connect without having
PCs on the local network on too (so when I'm away I can VPN in and check
mail on my ISP etc without burning up loads of electricity).

Old August 2nd 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:16:32 +0100, "Doehead" wrote:

(so when I'm away I can VPN in and check
mail on my ISP etc without burning up loads of electricity).

why not just check the email from your ISP directly without this VPN
stuff ?

Phil

Old August 2nd 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doehead

why not just check the email from your ISP directly without this VPN
stuff ?

Have you tried visiting most ISP's webmail sites using a PDA?