SMC 7904bra

Old August 1st 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

Default SMC 7904bra

I have ADSL being installed this week and I have been shopping around for a
combo ADSL Modem & Router

I have a wired LAN and intend to plug my Router into my existing hub/switch
.. I have been offered the SMC 7904 BRA, is there any reason I shouldn't buy
this?

Old August 2nd 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hellraiser

"poster" wrote in message
I have ADSL being installed this week and I have been shopping around for a
combo ADSL Modem & Router

I have a wired LAN and intend to plug my Router into my existing
hub/switch
. I have been offered the SMC 7904 BRA, is there any reason I shouldn't
buy
this?

Yes, they're crap. We use them at work for our private DSL connections and
one of the stock faults they have is the LAN side of them fails, meaning we
can ping them from a remote destination, but none of the PCs connected to
them thru the local switch can see out.

Avoid. Belkin, too, are rather nasty due to their numerous security holes.
Try Linksys, believe they do a wireless router which is ADSL2+ upgradeable
and as a subsidiary of Cisco their stuff is generally good qual.

Hellraiser..........

Old August 3rd 05, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

"Hellraiser" wrote in message

"poster" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that. I'm not interested in anything wireless.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Press2Esc

If you are looking for a combo router/modem, your wired connections an
existing hub will work fine... Via the router/modem combo, you
connected PCs will be issued a private IP (192.168......) and will no
be readily seen on the net..

P2E

poster Wrote:
I have ADSL being installed this week and I have been shopping aroun
for a
combo ADSL Modem & Router

I have a wired LAN and intend to plug my Router into my existin
hub/switch
.. I have been offered the SMC 7904 BRA, is there any reason
shouldn't buy
this

--
Press2Esc
Old August 7th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hellraiser

Avoid. Belkin, too, are rather nasty due to their numerous security
holes.
Try Linksys, believe they do a wireless router which is ADSL2+
upgradeable
and as a subsidiary of Cisco their stuff is generally good qual.

Hellraiser..........

Thanks for that. I'm not interested in anything wireless.

You don't need to be - the cost differential between wired and wireless is
no more than a few quid, better to have the feature and not need it, than
need it and not have it It's easy enough to turn off the wireless option
if security is an issue!

Hellraiser..........