Is Freenetname Connectable from Another Broadband ADSL?

Old August 1st 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davy

Default Is Freenetname Connectable from Another Broadband ADSL?

About 5 five years ago I signed up with Freenetname and got free domain name
and hosting. However had to dial up to Freenetname to update the domain and
get mail. I have noticed recently that I seem to be able to get my
Freenetname mail even if I dial up to another ISP.

I am about to move to broadband. Does anybody know if I need to take
broadband from Freenetname or can I go to any ISP and still get POP mail?

cheers

Davy

Old August 1st 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Davy" wrote in message
About 5 five years ago I signed up with Freenetname and got free domain
name
and hosting. However had to dial up to Freenetname to update the domain
and
get mail. I have noticed recently that I seem to be able to get my
Freenetname mail even if I dial up to another ISP.

I am about to move to broadband. Does anybody know if I need to take
broadband from Freenetname or can I go to any ISP and still get POP mail?

cheers

Davy

It certainly wasn't when I was with them. I would expect that unless you
have broadband with them, you`ll not be able to access the account. I
dumped it all a long while ago, because of the inconvenience.

Old August 1st 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Nuttall

Owain wrote in article :

You will probably be able to get your mail through POP, but you
will have to continue to dial in to Freenetname occasionally to
keep the domain name active. Freenetname use the revenue share
from their dial-in number to fund the service.

Given that co.uk/org.uk domains now cost about 12 to register
with 123-reg.co.uk (and probably less if you shop around) you
might want to forget Freenetname altogether.

I had a Freenetname account about 5 years ago. You had to connect to
their network to download pop3 mail, which was a major pain.

I ended up using it as a backup account, and eventually used it so
little that they locked me out of it, requesting something like 25 to
re-open it. They were asking for something outrageous to move my
"free" domain out, but as I never used it, I just let it lapse.

--
Keith Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old August 1st 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 01 Aug 2005 19:45, Owain wrote:

Given that co.uk/org.uk domains now cost about 12 to register with
123-reg.co.uk (and probably less if you shop around)

Quite a bit less than a tenner with 123-reg.co.uk or ukreg.com though
at about $3/year (or $2 if they find a deal going) one could register
a .info for a few years more, and not be subject to IPSTAGs :-)

Old August 1st 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Davy wrote:

About 5 five years ago I signed up with Freenetname and got free domain name
and hosting. However had to dial up to Freenetname to update the domain and
get mail. I have noticed recently that I seem to be able to get my
Freenetname mail even if I dial up to another ISP.

I am about to move to broadband. Does anybody know if I need to take
broadband from Freenetname or can I go to any ISP and still get POP mail?

cheers

Davy

I am surprised that you can get mail via another ISP, or perhaps you
have another of the 'Brightview' brands ?
Brightview is the company behind the brand 'Freenetname' and several
other (semi-deceased) ISP names.
I would be very doubtful of you keeping access unless you get FNN
broadband.

If it has been frozen you may get the '25 to leave' offer which, if
they have just renewed the domain, has not been a bad deal for 6 years
registration/host.

Bill
Old August 2nd 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davy

I agree with you all that domain name registration is now cheap but I have
two accounts with Freenetname which saves me about 100 a year for hosting.
Davy