Onetel ADSL settings query

Old August 2nd 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PGray

Default Onetel ADSL settings query

PJB Wrote:
"PGray" wrote in message
...-

Hello, I have recently subscribed to Onetel broadband package an
have
got it working using their USB modem. I have now bought a Zyxel 660
so
that I can let a couple of computers to use the line - but first of
would like to get one connected ?!
The WAN settings I have used are
- PPPoA
- Routing (as opposed to bridge mode)
- VC
- 0 and 38 for VPI and VCI
- Obtain IP address automatically.

The LAN settings are set to Serve DHCP on 172.168.1.200 to 232

After all these settings are saved I can ping externally 4.2.2.2 from
the Diagnostics screen on the modem.
I have attached the RJ45 between the modem and the pc and set the p
up
to Obtain IP address automatically (it does get set to 172.168.1.20
if
I do an ipconfig)

I was thinking that was all there is to it but unfortunately can'
get
on the internet and can't ping externally from the pc.

Any ideas anyone?
-

do ipconfig /all - check for dns info. Router should be passing bot
primary
& secondary dns IP's to the pc from Onetel, if not, no internet, tr
pinging
217.12.3.11, does that work?

P.

Thanks for that but I can't ping anything externally. The DNS setting
are appearing ok.
I thought I read on here before that some ISPs register the MAC addres
of the first used network device and allow only that to access the net
Is this the case? (Think I'll start a new thread with that question)
The USB device that came with the broadband package does work.
Do the settings look ok?
Thanks

--
PGray
Old August 2nd 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:03:41 +0100, PGray
wrote:

I thought I read on here before that some ISPs register the MAC address
of the first used network device and allow only that to access the net.
Is this the case?

sounds like cable, I doubt they do that on ADSL.

Phil

Old August 2nd 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"PGray" wrote in message

PJB Wrote:
"PGray" wrote in message
...-

Hello, I have recently subscribed to Onetel broadband package and
have
got it working using their USB modem. I have now bought a Zyxel 660R
so
that I can let a couple of computers to use the line - but first off
would like to get one connected ?!
The WAN settings I have used are
- PPPoA
- Routing (as opposed to bridge mode)
- VC
- 0 and 38 for VPI and VCI
- Obtain IP address automatically.

The LAN settings are set to Serve DHCP on 172.168.1.200 to 232

After all these settings are saved I can ping externally 4.2.2.2 from
the Diagnostics screen on the modem.
I have attached the RJ45 between the modem and the pc and set the pc
up
to Obtain IP address automatically (it does get set to 172.168.1.200
if
I do an ipconfig)

I was thinking that was all there is to it but unfortunately can't
get
on the internet and can't ping externally from the pc.

Any ideas anyone?
-

do ipconfig /all - check for dns info. Router should be passing both
primary
& secondary dns IP's to the pc from Onetel, if not, no internet, try
pinging
217.12.3.11, does that work?

P.

Thanks for that but I can't ping anything externally. The DNS settings
are appearing ok.
I thought I read on here before that some ISPs register the MAC address
of the first used network device and allow only that to access the net.
Is this the case? (Think I'll start a new thread with that question).
The USB device that came with the broadband package does work.
Do the settings look ok?
Thanks.

Cable (NTL) still use MAC registration occasionally, I got into that trap
when I switched routers, but I've never personally known it with ADSL.

You say you can ping from the router outwards onto the internet?. That would
indicate your connection is ok, Can you try a different cable to connect the
pc to the router?. I have come across rogue cables before now, that will
even ping but not communicate properly. Is it possible to try a different
pc?

P.