Does anyone watch NASA TV over broadband?

Old August 2nd 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

Default Does anyone watch NASA TV over broadband?

http://www.nasa.gov/

I'm finding the performance of this terrible at the moment (on 2MB F2S)
- just wondered if others were having similar probs?
--
Mike
Old August 2nd 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Mike NG wrote:
http://www.nasa.gov/

I'm finding the performance of this terrible at the moment (on 2MB F2S)
- just wondered if others were having similar probs?

Nope, working fine here NTL Freedom 512 via BT line

--
The Caretaker .........
Old August 2nd 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
Mike NG wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/

I'm finding the performance of this terrible at the moment (on 2MB F2S)
- just wondered if others were having similar probs?

Not regularly but I have tried recently as there has been some quite
cool camera footage from the ET and SRBs. It ran like a dog, which I
put down to demand, but then I noticed you use F2S as do I.

It might be co-incidence as they use Akamai who you'd expect would have
"lots" of bandwidth.

cheers,
Paul

Old August 2nd 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Paul Hutchings wrote:
In article ,
Mike NG wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/

I'm finding the performance of this terrible at the moment (on 2MB F2S)
- just wondered if others were having similar probs?

Not regularly but I have tried recently as there has been some quite
cool camera footage from the ET and SRBs. It ran like a dog, which I
put down to demand, but then I noticed you use F2S as do I.

It might be co-incidence as they use Akamai who you'd expect would have

On plusnet.
Fairly intermittent, though I wasn't watching it in the past few mins.

If you have freeview, then it may be available on 'press red' from
news-24, if there is something important happening.
Likewise on Sky-News.
Old August 2nd 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 at 18:17:26, Paul Hutchings (Paul Hutchings
) wrote:
Not regularly but I have tried recently as there has been some quite
cool camera footage from the ET and SRBs. It ran like a dog, which I
put down to demand, but then I noticed you use F2S as do I.

It might be co-incidence as they use Akamai who you'd expect would have
"lots" of bandwidth.

It probably is a server issue. I was watching it at the weekend - about
10am BST at the weekend when they were in the payload door getting ready
for a space walk - when many Americans would still be in bed
--
Mike
Old August 2nd 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Greig

Mike NG wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/

I'm finding the performance of this terrible at the moment (on 2MB F2S)
- just wondered if others were having similar probs?

It's been rock solid 150kbps Windows Media feed on Blueyonder since tha
launch. The Real Media Feed was just plain broke for a few days (falling
back to 34k and still dropping 75% of packets) but seems to be fine
again at 150k as of today. Real picture quality seems a little better
when it works.
--
Alan Greig

Old August 2nd 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 at 21:29:02, Alan Greig (Alan Greig
) wrote:

Mike NG wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/
I'm finding the performance of this terrible at the moment (on 2MB
F2S) - just wondered if others were having similar probs?

It's been rock solid 150kbps Windows Media feed on Blueyonder since tha
launch. The Real Media Feed was just plain broke for a few days
(falling back to 34k and still dropping 75% of packets) but seems to be
fine again at 150k as of today. Real picture quality seems a little
better when it works.

Right - I've just switched to that. I only used Real Media so I could
see (from the time) when feed was freezing, but I can live without that

In fact the picture at this moment in time (view of ISS from the
Shuttle) seems much clearer in Windows Media - in normal mode and "full
screen"

It's hard to compare though, as the Real Media feed is perfect at the
moment

Thanks for everyone's input
--
Mike
Old August 2nd 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Greig

Alan Greig wrote:

Mike NG wrote:

http://www.nasa.gov/

I'm finding the performance of this terrible at the moment (on 2MB
F2S) - just wondered if others were having similar probs?

It's been rock solid 150kbps Windows Media feed on Blueyonder since tha
launch. The Real Media Feed was just plain broke for a few days (falling

In fact the Windows Media feed is now at 300kbps and has held that
without dropping a single packet for the last 30 mins.