Broadband tommorrow?

Old August 2nd 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

Default Broadband tommorrow?

Tommorrow between 9 and 5 according to BTbroadband they are installing it!
According to the website the modem is delivered tomorrow What happens now,
does an engineer visit the house or do I go out in the morning and when I
return at night it's all magically set up?
Or.... is that just the beginning of long periods on the phone trying to
sort things out!!

Des

Old August 2nd 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

"Des" wrote in message
Tommorrow between 9 and 5 according to BTbroadband they are installing it!
According to the website the modem is delivered tomorrow What happens now,
does an engineer visit the house or do I go out in the morning and when I
return at night it's all magically set up?
Or.... is that just the beginning of long periods on the phone trying to
sort things out!!

Des

Your guess is as good as ours!

If your modem arrives on tme, then presumably you`ll get home to find a
modem and an active ADSL line.

My line was active before the modem arrived here, but then broadband was
already available on the exchange a few weeks before.

Good luck with it all....

Old August 2nd 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

no need for visit; done from exchange.
Set up modem + if red led shows youre not synching with ADSL yet; when
it goes green, surf away!

Old August 3rd 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Or.... is that just the beginning of long periods on the phone trying to
sort things out!!

Des

Possibly if you are getting a USB modem, still time to go out and get a
proper router.

Dave

Old August 3rd 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news

Or.... is that just the beginning of long periods on the phone trying to
sort things out!!

Des

Possibly if you are getting a USB modem, still time to go out and get a
proper router.

Yes USB first, then go for a wireless router, thats the plan anyway! as I
type waiting patiently for the Postman with my modem! yesterday he came at
9am, today it will be late afternoon!!
Oh well after 20+ years of dial up from Prestel 14Kb IIRC with a Demon modem
to the dizzy heights of 56Kb, now let's see what all the fuss is about...

Des

Old August 3rd 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Des" wrote in message

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news

Or.... is that just the beginning of long periods on the phone trying
sort things out!!

Des

Possibly if you are getting a USB modem, still time to go out and get a
proper router.

Yes USB first, then go for a wireless router, thats the plan anyway! as I
type waiting patiently for the Postman with my modem! yesterday he came
at
9am, today it will be late afternoon!!
Oh well after 20+ years of dial up from Prestel 14Kb IIRC with a Demon
modem
to the dizzy heights of 56Kb, now let's see what all the fuss is about...

Des

What speed are you going on Des? 512K, 1Mb or 2Mb?

Old August 3rd 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"Steve" wrote in message

"Des" wrote in message

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news

Or.... is that just the beginning of long periods on the phone trying
sort things out!!

Des

Possibly if you are getting a USB modem, still time to go out and get a
proper router.

Yes USB first, then go for a wireless router, thats the plan anyway! as

type waiting patiently for the Postman with my modem! yesterday he came
at
9am, today it will be late afternoon!!
Oh well after 20+ years of dial up from Prestel 14Kb IIRC with a Demon
modem
to the dizzy heights of 56Kb, now let's see what all the fuss is

about...

Des

What speed are you going on Des? 512K, 1Mb or 2Mb?

I am on 2Mb coutesy of BT, but amazed they have sent me a Voyager 205
Router, i would have assumed a simple USB modem would have arrived!
Mind you as I write I am still using ntl dial up, after loading software,
crash reload / crash repeat ad infinitum!
The router is on, the ethernet light is on, the dsl light flashes! ,
and.......well that's about it

Des

Old August 3rd 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Des" wrote in message

I am on 2Mb coutesy of BT, but amazed they have sent me a Voyager 205
Router, i would have assumed a simple USB modem would have arrived!
Mind you as I write I am still using ntl dial up, after loading software,
crash reload / crash repeat ad infinitum!
The router is on, the ethernet light is on, the dsl light flashes! ,
and.......well that's about it

Des

Unfortunately I'm with Tiscali, I'm on 512k, and it looks like because they
won't deliver on thier promises, I can't upgrade to 1Mbit, without being
stung with a capped service! Good luck with the broadband.

Steve

Old August 3rd 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

And a couple of times I've found myself grabbing a file off the net a
second time, rather than looking for the CD I burnt a couple of months
back.

I thought only I did that g

Dave