Problems accessing emails.

« BT | SMC 7904bra »

Old August 3rd 05, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Problems accessing emails.

Hi folks
I have asked this before on this ng and got a few pointers but not much
furthur on.
I have a dual boot desktop with XP pro and Linux (xandros) and also a
laptop with XP linked wirelessly via a Linksys adsl gateway.
I`ve got full web and email access with the Laptop,full web and email
access with the Linux partition on the desktop but only web access with
the XP pro and get messages saying an error was reported trying to
access the pop3 server.
The same settings are on each os and all up to date. I have tried
accessing the pop3 server with the Zone alarm firewall on and off and
AVG antivirus on and off. I am using Thunderbird 1.0.6 for all emails
the same as the laptop and still scratching my head what to try next.
My hunch is the router but why would it work with The Linux partition
and not the XP pro one? Would be grateful if anyone could suggest what
to try next.
I could simply stick with one os that works but I use different apps
and its a pain having to reboot each time.
Thanks
Steve

Old August 3rd 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Steve wrote:
[...]

I'd start by checking Tools - Options - Advanced - Connection -
Connection Settings, then remove (after noting the numbers) any proxy
settings you have, checking ONLY the 'direct connection to the internet'
box and trying it again, after a reboot.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old August 3rd 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Press2Esc

Steve,

Since the router, doesnt know (or care) about your OS, the problem ha
nothing to do with the router... Using XP, open your mail ap
(thunderbird) and check the POP3 server name... I suspect it is wrong.
It is also possible your ISP uses port 25 filtering or SMT
authentication to cut down on spam.

GOod Luck,

P2E

Old August 3rd 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Hi Chaps
The `direct connection to the internet` was the only box selected and
my smtp server was using port 110 and changing it to 25 made no
difference.
I do also have my old `Virgin` dial up account still active (until I
lose it) and no access with that either. Making sure the right smtp
server goes with the right account. Again identical settings on my
desktop as the laptop which works fine with both accounts
Thanks for the advice
Steve

Old August 7th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Press2Esc

Send a test (Test#1) email to yourself... If it is not rec'd via OE
verify the Test#1 email is located in your webmail access Inbox. Send
#2 test email to yourself in webmail, verify the email in your webmai
Inbox... If webmail is working ok, your are looking at a user, OE, a/
or firewall problem.

* Illegal eMail... It is possible there is a bad/illegal email on th
pop3 server.... goto your WEBMAIL and check your emails for problem
(eg., over-sized (MB) email, corrupt/damaged email, etc). Delete you
oldest email.

* Incorrect/corrupt OE account settings - delete/re-enter POP serve
name, email name & password.

* Bad/Corrupt OE identity

* check your port 25 & 110 firewall related settings.

* check a/v pgm (email scan) related settings

* if still having a problem - reinstall OE

Good Luck

P2E