[OT] Wireless - Via Two Buildings

Old August 3rd 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

Default [OT] Wireless - Via Two Buildings

How cheaply and effectively could I do this.

The distance is about 600ft.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk
Old August 3rd 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Stri wrote:
How cheaply and effectively could I do this.

The distance is about 600ft.

Directional aerials.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

--
The Caretaker .........
Old August 3rd 05, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Stri" wrote in message
How cheaply and effectively could I do this.

The distance is about 600ft.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

Hi

Have a look at http://www.solwise.co.uk
If you find what you want email me off listas I am a Solwise dealer and will
be able to give you a competative quote.

Ian.
infoATcyber-cottageDOTcoDOTuk

Old August 3rd 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil M

"Stri" wrote in message
How cheaply and effectively could I do this.

The distance is about 600ft

Very effectively....
100 quid or so including a couple of aerials.

Old August 10th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Daragon

Stri wrote:
How cheaply and effectively could I do this.

The distance is about 600ft.

have a look at

http://www.tritium.co.uk

for a really simple mod to make any access point directional for the
princely sum of 6.95...

jd

--

John Daragon
argv[0] limited (Asterisk implementation & consultancy)

Old August 10th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

John Daragon proclaimed...

have a look at

http://www.tritium.co.uk

for a really simple mod to make any access point directional for the
princely sum of 6.95...

That's cool. But this enhances an existing setup equipment right? Or can
I just use this tritium?

Old August 11th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Daragon

Stri wrote:
John Daragon proclaimed...

have a look at

http://www.tritium.co.uk

for a really simple mod to make any access point directional for the
princely sum of 6.95...

That's cool. But this enhances an existing setup equipment right? Or can
I just use this tritium?

It just enhances the gain of the antennae.

Actually, back in the days when 802.11b was shiny, new, uncommon and
expensive, I linked two buildings in beautiful downtown Croydon with
omnidirectional antennae. IIRC they were about 400m apart, and separated
by a dual carriageway. We had to choose windows carefully because there
were a number of buildings in the way and you had to squint to see one
from another...

Worked wonderfully until the local shopping centre decided something on
the roof needed TIG welding. That only lasted a couple of days, but we
hadn't really realised how dependent we'd become on the link by then...

Any 802.whatever APs in bridge mode should do. The Pre-N multipath stuff
shouldn't need any antenna fiddling at all.

jd

Old August 11th 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

John Daragon proclaimed...

It just enhances the gain of the antennae.

Actually, back in the days when 802.11b was shiny, new, uncommon and
expensive, I linked two buildings in beautiful downtown Croydon with
omnidirectional antennae. IIRC they were about 400m apart, and separated
by a dual carriageway. We had to choose windows carefully because there
were a number of buildings in the way and you had to squint to see one
from another...

Worked wonderfully until the local shopping centre decided something on
the roof needed TIG welding. That only lasted a couple of days, but we
hadn't really realised how dependent we'd become on the link by then...

Any 802.whatever APs in bridge mode should do. The Pre-N multipath stuff
shouldn't need any antenna fiddling at all.

jd

I think I need to give up then as I don't have line of sight. The is a
block of flats in the way.

Old August 11th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Daragon

Stri wrote:
John Daragon proclaimed...

[...]

That's a bit of a problem unless the natives are friendly...

If you had access to the roof of the block you should be able to set up
a repeater using a couple of access points, a car battery and a solar
charger. I guess it just depends how wuch you want the link !

jd