Any opinions on Tesco broadband ?

Old August 4th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
false-name

Default Any opinions on Tesco broadband ?

any general opinions on Tesco broadband ?

I'm assuming Tesconet is a virtual ISP,
so, for whom are they a re-seller ?
Old August 4th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:49:24 +0100, false-name
wrote:

any general opinions on Tesco broadband ?

avoid. Datastream, NTL, etc.

I'm assuming Tesconet is a virtual ISP,
so, for whom are they a re-seller ?

NTL. Run away !

Phil

Old August 4th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"false-name" wrote in message
any general opinions on Tesco broadband ?

I'm assuming Tesconet is a virtual ISP,
so, for whom are they a re-seller ?

I have a relation who is on this service and they have had excellent service
for more than 12 months now. Its an unlimited service, and they certainly
make a lot of use of it. Its basically transferring data 24/7, and I know
that they have not once had to ring for any help.... So I can give the
thumbs up on Tesconet.

Old August 4th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Not Me

false-name wrote:
any general opinions on Tesco broadband ?

Contacted them twice, on the 'phone they answered straight away (free
call also), and by email they replied within a couple of hours.

Had it almost 12 months, practically 24/7 downloading at full speed, no
hassles whatsoever.

Of course, I could be the only person in the area using Tesco... and
lots of people on here (although having never used Tesco) seem to
rubbish them.

HTH,
Chris

Old August 4th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cheney

false-name wrote in news:dcso93$its$2
@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

any general opinions on Tesco broadband ?

I'm assuming Tesconet is a virtual ISP,
so, for whom are they a re-seller ?

Read their broadband Ts&Cs carefully (which are _after_ the 'Terms &
conditions of Tesco internet access' at
http://www.tesco.net/terms_conditions.asp), esp. clause 7:

"You agree not to share ... the use of the account with any third party."

The Tesco.net support team confirms that this means that you cannot allow
other members of your household to use the facility.

"How can they tell" follow-ups not appreciated.
Old August 4th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Chris Cheney" %no%spam%please wrote in message
. 8.48...
false-name wrote in news:dcso93$its$2
@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

any general opinions on Tesco broadband ?

I'm assuming Tesconet is a virtual ISP,
so, for whom are they a re-seller ?

Read their broadband Ts&Cs carefully (which are _after_ the 'Terms &
conditions of Tesco internet access' at
http://www.tesco.net/terms_conditions.asp), esp. clause 7:

"You agree not to share ... the use of the account with any third party."

The Tesco.net support team confirms that this means that you cannot allow
other members of your household to use the facility.

"How can they tell" follow-ups not appreciated.

This is referring to sharing the connection with another person at a
different address, I understand. By use of a wireless connection, or by any
other conceivable means possible. I understand that it goes on a lot. I
know of at least 4 people who do this with more than one person.

Old August 4th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:33:21 +0100, Not Me
wrote:

and
lots of people on here (although having never used Tesco) seem to
rubbish them.

Which? Magazine August 2005 page 32 - ISP satisfaction:

Best Broadband:
- Metronet 91%
- Freedom 2 Surf 80%
- Zen Internet 79%
- Nildram 77%
- Waitrose 73%
- Eclipse 73%
- PlusNet 71%
- Force 9 70%

Others:
- Wanadoo 37%
- Bulldog 36%
- Tiscali 35%
- AOL Europe 35%
- BT 34%
- Kingston Comm. 29%

Worst Broadband:
- NTL 19%

Phil

Old August 4th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 04 Aug 2005 14:17, Phil Thompson wrote:

- Metronet 91%

While some of the samples ran to a couple of thousand or more, some may have
had very few votes cast. I believe that was from 64 respondents... Peter M.

Old August 4th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:16:06 +0100, poster
wrote:

While some of the samples ran to a couple of thousand or more, some may have
had very few votes cast. I believe that was from 64 respondents...

could be, not that this undermines it as Metronet are a small ISP so
it could easily be a proportionate sample.

As the article isn't on their online site I haven't seen the detail.

Phil

Old August 4th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rwdavies

i have used tesco for 10 month, 6 of which have been trouble free. now
speeds are totally unreliable. some days good but other times i cant even
load web pages because it times out. i have sent e-mails and contacted there
customer service which are quick to answer, but try asking them to sort out
a slow connection. you get the usual have you got virus or spyware. we will
contact you STILL WAITING AND STILL SLOW..