Wireless Netgear & Windows 95

Old August 4th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newberry

Default Wireless Netgear & Windows 95

A friend wants wireless broadband on her PC.
It runs windows 95.
Does anybody know if the Netgear DG834GT will work on this system.
I haven't checked the PC yet but I would think it only supports USB 1.
Thanks
Newberry

--
Remove DOG from email address to contact

Old August 4th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

She really needs to get a more secure operating system than 95 if she is
going to expose her computer to the internet via broadband.

Peter Crosland

Old August 6th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Newberry wrote:

A friend wants wireless broadband on her PC.
It runs windows 95.
Does anybody know if the Netgear DG834GT will work on this system.
I haven't checked the PC yet but I would think it only supports USB 1.
Thanks
Newberry

--
Remove DOG from email address to contact

Win9x is really only sensible via a network (wired or not) due to dodgy
USB on the hardware of that period. Not that it is only USB1, as you
aren't going to need the data rate any higher.
Many would say BB should be run on a network and not USB full stop, and
going the networking route is also a lot friendlier to old PC's.

Bill
Old August 6th 05, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

IIRC you won't get wifi drivers for Win 95,
min req. is Win 98SE.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 6th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 19:49:55 +0100, "Newberry" wrote:

Thanks for the replies, guess it's time for her to buy a new machine.

Or just put an ethernet card in, if she has the original Win 95 disks.
I have at least 2 Win 95 PCs among my collection and although only older
versions of Internet Explorer and Netscape (v4.7, v4.8) and Opera run for
that OS, there's nothing especially bad about using it... Of course, with
a new PC at under 350 quid (perhaps lower on Ebay) there are lots of other
options... just not many sensible ones needing USB drivers :-) Peter M.