I was so looking forward to broadband

Old August 5th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

Default I was so looking forward to broadband

Well the activation date was Wednesday, Thursday came and went (with a phone
call or four!) Friday came , oh... someone will call you back with progress
of your broadband installation and went... still waiting...the router sits
there with lights flashing and I am still dialing up patiently
Now I did know it wasn't going to be easy, but... are these delays normal?
what are the chances of hearing from them?, I have gone to BT themselves, I
suspect it would have been a nightmare dealing with a 3rd party or would
that have had more clout? maybe even AOL?

Des
Washing his mouth out with soap............

Old August 5th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

Des proclaimed...

Well the activation date was Wednesday, Thursday came and went (with a phone
call or four!) Friday came , oh... someone will call you back with progress
of your broadband installation and went... still waiting...the router sits
there with lights flashing and I am still dialing up patiently
Now I did know it wasn't going to be easy, but... are these delays normal?
what are the chances of hearing from them?, I have gone to BT themselves, I
suspect it would have been a nightmare dealing with a 3rd party or would
that have had more clout? maybe even AOL?

Des
Washing his mouth out with soap............

You're making little sense. Who is your ISP, AOL, BT, who?

Whoever it is you need to speak to them. If it's AOL and you speak to BT
then they're going to tell you to speak to AOL.

In addition there is no point 'dialling' until the sync or link light
comes on your router.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk
Old August 5th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"ComPCs" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

Well the activation date was Wednesday, Thursday came and went (with a

phone
call or four!) Friday came , oh... someone will call you back with

progress
of your broadband installation and went... still waiting...the router

sits
there with lights flashing and I am still dialing up patiently
Now I did know it wasn't going to be easy, but... are these delays

normal?
what are the chances of hearing from them?, I have gone to BT

themselves, I
suspect it would have been a nightmare dealing with a 3rd party or would
that have had more clout? maybe even AOL?

Have you been told it's active? Are you 100% sure your filters are in
the right places, e.g. you haven't filtered the extension into which
your router may (or may not) be plugged?

If on the other hand, you would be good enough to say which ISP, then
maybe someone can throw some light (preferably not a flashing one) on
the matter?

Sorry my post didn't make sense when re-read it. trying (and failing) to be
ironic!
It should have said, I went with 'BTbroadband' , I was being tongue in
cheek when I mentioned AOL, I was just wondering if a 3rd party reseller
would have had more clout, if only to find out what was going on.
and the dialling I mentioned is the good old dial up which seems to be even
slower than normal!

I have checked and rechecked the wiring I have even swapped over filters,

I also get the impression speaking to BTbroadband that there is a problem at
the exchange, I think its the lack of information that annoys me, if they
had the coutesy to phone or email me to say sorry, won't be on today we have
a problem, that you could perhaps accept.

Des

Old August 5th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

Des wrote:

Sorry my post didn't make sense when re-read it. trying (and failing) to be
ironic!
It should have said, I went with 'BTbroadband' , I was being tongue in
cheek when I mentioned AOL, I was just wondering if a 3rd party reseller
would have had more clout,

A number of third-party ISP's seem to be better able to get service up
and running and are better at communicating with their customers.

I have checked and rechecked the wiring I have even swapped over filters,

And have you had just the ADSL modem/router connected by itself?

I also get the impression speaking to BTbroadband that there is a problem at
the exchange, I think its the lack of information that annoys me, if they
had the coutesy to phone or email me to say sorry, won't be on today we have
a problem, that you could perhaps accept.

Well sit back and enjoy the weekend, perhaps trying the system again
tomorrow and hope that Monday brings better news.
Old August 5th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Anderton

In message , Des
writes

"ComPCs" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...

[...]

Only waiting a couple of days! I have a client whose line was supposedly
activated on May 27th. Still not working. Phone calls are not returned
and nothing is done. Fortunately my client is currently away so it is
not catastrophic. I have actually written to the BT Board Director
responsible for Broadband rollout but without reply as yet.
--
Richard Anderton
Old August 5th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:32:07 GMT, "Des"
wrote:

"ComPCs" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...

[...]

Just because you've gone with BT for your broadband, it is BT Retail
you are paying and for all intents and purposes, mainly for monopoly
regulations, they are considered as third party resellers of the BT
Wholesale connection in exactly the same way that AOL, Wanadoo, etc
are.

Unfortunately they have no more authority or "clout" over BT Wholesale
than any of the other ISPs do.

BT Wholesale will not deal directly with the public and it is them
that have the information about when this will be fixed for you.
Old August 5th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:32:07 GMT, "Des"
wrote:

"ComPCs" wrote in message
. net...
In article ,
says...

[...]

I went with PLusNet and my connection was active 4 days before I expected it
to be

Clive

Old August 5th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"Richard Anderton" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Ah well thats life, I suspected that it would not be that easy, the
exchange was on the list for last september then allof a sudden was changed
to July, so I supose a couple of days/months will make no difference, It's
funny we have a director of BT that lives in the village and that makes no
difference at all!!!!

Des

Old August 5th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:57:39 +0100, Richard Anderton
wrote:

Only waiting a couple of days! I have a client whose line was supposedly
activated on May 27th. Still not working. Phone calls are not returned
and nothing is done.

has the ISP requested an engineer visit ?

Phil