BT Shdsl

Old August 5th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ednwireland

Default BT Shdsl

just got into configuring a bt shdsl line not gone with the bt route
but have a billion bipac 8520 which works fine when i use th
automiatic ip addressing from bt but using fixed ip addresses that
have from bt the router won't connect.
has anyone seen a similiar problem with bt equipment and how did the
sort it, obviously the answer i get is that its my router and bt tec
support won't answer any questions like why cant i ping the route
address of my fixed ip etc.
i don't want to buy another router just to test whether its a router o
a line issue
any idea

--
ednwireland
Old August 6th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

" which works fine when i use the
automiatic ip addressing from bt but using fixed ip addresses that i
have from bt the router won't connect. "

AIUI the DSLAM will always give the router its fixed IP address in the
sign-on negotiation, so you should perhaps only set the other fixed IPs
on PCs etc and leave the router to get its by PPP by negotiation or
DHCP (I don't know how it does it). A thought, anyway.

Phil

Old August 6th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 6 Aug 2005, "PhilT" wrote:

AIUI the DSLAM will always give the router its fixed IP address in the
sign-on negotiation, so you should perhaps only set the other fixed IPs

Agreed. I'm sure I've seen notes from ISPs saying not to set the IP in
the router. While it might be inconvenient (and unlikely if you have a
subnet), it is then possible for the ISP to change the fixed IP address

Old August 6th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:48:17 +0100, poster
wrote:

While it might be inconvenient (and unlikely if you have a
subnet), it is then possible for the ISP to change the fixed IP address

also allows to you to login to bt_test etc which gives different IPs.
Not sure if that's done on SDSL but the principle is the same.

Phil