Does anyone know.......

Old August 7th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Default Does anyone know.......

.......... how long it's going to be before I can just have ADSL on my line
and no phone service? (I'm on BT).

The only reason we have the landline is for ADSL. Nothing else. Yeah, the
odd call comes in, but hardly any outgoing use at all.

TIA,

Simon

Old August 7th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Simon Ough wrote:
......... how long it's going to be before I can just have ADSL on my
line and no phone service? (I'm on BT).

The only reason we have the landline is for ADSL. Nothing else. Yeah,
the odd call comes in, but hardly any outgoing use at all.

TIA,

Simon

Somewhere between a long time, to possibly never. Your line rental pays for
the upkeep & maintenance (even research into new forms of comms) your call
revenue pays for the calls you make. Without a line you can't have ADSL so
you have to pay for the line...

Old August 7th 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 08:31:48 UTC, "Simon Ough"
wrote:

......... how long it's going to be before I can just have ADSL on my line
and no phone service? (I'm on BT).

The only reason we have the landline is for ADSL. Nothing else. Yeah, the
odd call comes in, but hardly any outgoing use at all.

They'll do it eventually. I hope you weren't expecting it to be any
cheaper, though. In fact, as it'll be less popular than a 'normal' line,
it may be more expensive.

Hint: the line rental pays for the LINE. You need a line for ADSL.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old August 7th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 09:31:48 +0100, "Simon Ough"
wrote:

......... how long it's going to be before I can just have ADSL on my line
and no phone service?

you can do it now. Unplug all the phones and throw them in the skip.
Job done.

Phil

Old August 7th 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

kraftee proclaimed...

Somewhere between a long time, to possibly never. Your line rental pays for
the upkeep & maintenance (even research into new forms of comms) your call
revenue pays for the calls you make. Without a line you can't have ADSL so
you have to pay for the line...

Not to mention that ADSL signal is carried down the phone line?

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk
Old August 7th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
......... how long it's going to be before I can just have ADSL on my line
and no phone service? (I'm on BT).

The only reason we have the landline is for ADSL. Nothing else. Yeah, the
odd call comes in, but hardly any outgoing use at all.

This is and has been an option with BT since the start of ADSL.
to order it, you must call sales and request that the line has an outgoing
bar put on it. then unplug all instruments from the line except for you ADSL
router or modem.;-)

BTW you wont save any money.

Ian

Old August 7th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Simon Ough wrote:
......... how long it's going to be before I can just have ADSL on my line
and no phone service? (I'm on BT).

You can!
SDSL, and throttle back to ADSL limits at your end.
Depending on tarrif, this may not turn out cheaper.
Old August 7th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

The line is essential for ADSL. You get the phone service for
nothing.

Keep it. One day you might need to ring 999 or 911.

As for me, for the last 25 years I have rented my telephone instrument
for 2 or 3 quid a quarter. If it becomes faulty it will be replaced
within a relatively few hours at no cost. I like the security.

In the meantime my Broadband runs alongside the phone quite happily.
There is no interaction except that the occasional phone call is from
somebody trying to sell me plastic, double-glazed windows.

Or are you trolling?

=====================================

Old August 7th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 7 Aug 2005 16:02 UTC, "Reg Edwards" wrote:

As for me, for the last 25 years I have rented my telephone instrument
for 2 or 3 quid a quarter. If it becomes faulty it will be replaced
within a relatively few hours at no cost. I like the security.

I stopped renting in the late 80s. I bought a second phone. Rather than
pay around 10 pounds a year, every year, on the off-chance that if there
was a need to fix a faulty phone, it would be replaced, I have no doubt
saved myself several times the cost of phones I bought by not renting.

Some phones I bought (at about 3.50 each) came with credits (for network
services) worth about 9 pounds, so effectively cost me nothing. I gave
a few of those to local charity shops to allow them to sell on (unused
in original packaging) because the hardware had cost me nowt at all !

Old August 7th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

The line is essential for ADSL. You get the phone service for
nothing.

Keep it. One day you might need to ring 999 or 911.

911 Reg?
If you'd prefer the *local* constabualry etc. to attend I would stick with
999/112

--
73's
Graham.