why isn't authentication needed on a connection?

Old August 7th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deano

Default why isn't authentication needed on a connection?

I have lent my old router to a friend so he can test it on his ADSL
connection with Freedom2Surf. He sees my connection details in there and
apparently hasn't been able to enter his own details, yet the connection
works fine.

What's up with that? Do some ISPs not require authentication for the
connection when using ADSL?

Old August 7th 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Deano" wrote in news:[email protected]
nntp-reader01.plus.net:

What's up with that? Do some ISPs not require authentication for the
connection when using ADSL?

Some ISPs authenticate via the circuit that is connected, other ones will
not actually limit an account to any one DSL enable line. A client of ours
was having problems with their business account until we checked the
username. The client had his home account details in the business account.
The ISP was RedNet and the usernames were nice random letters so an easy
mixup.

--
Colin
Old August 8th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 18:47:23 +0100, "Deano"
wrote:

What's up with that? Do some ISPs not require authentication for the
connection when using ADSL?

generally speaking you should only be able to use an ISP account on a
different ADSL line if it is the same after the @symbol, as most lines
have "service selection barring" implemented which means a line is
effectively dedicated to an ISP. When it gets to the ISP the details
will be valid in any case, so the restriction is around the line.

Phil