ISP who provides Free Cable Modem with Ethernet?

Old August 7th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin

Default ISP who provides Free Cable Modem with Ethernet?

All,

New to this group. But was hoping someone could help.

We are shortly to move from an NTL area to central Birmingham (which I
believe has no cable provider).

So it looks like we will be going over to a broadband provider via a BT line
(which is a novelty to us). Also a bit of a pain as we use Vonage for VOIP -
so a phone line is a bit of a waste.. but anyway...

My real question comes down to hardware. I have my infrastructure here all
using Ethernet. I don't really want to go to a USB cable modem with an
always on PC. This is not something I have ever thought of before as NTL
(despite other sins) have always provided an Ethernet/USB dual modem for
free.

Do any of the Broadband providers do the same? All the ones I can find are
USB modem only - with a typical 70 pound hardware cost to get the Ethernet
modem?

TIA,
Robin

Old August 7th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bacillus cereus

Robin wrote:
[...]

Telewest covers Birmingham, which part exactly do you mean by central?
Old August 7th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin

Its got a B1 postcode.
One of the flats right in the centre, by the library.

Telewest website reckons they don't serve the postcode when I checked
yesterday...

Thanks though,
Robin

Old August 7th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Robin" wrote in message
So it looks like we will be going over to a broadband provider via a BT
line

(which is a novelty to us). Also a bit of a pain as we use Vonage for
VOIP - so a phone line is a bit of a waste.. but anyway...

My real question comes down to hardware. I have my infrastructure here all
using Ethernet. I don't really want to go to a USB cable modem with an
always on PC. This is not something I have ever thought of before as NTL
(despite other sins) have always provided an Ethernet/USB dual modem for
free.

Do any of the Broadband providers do the same? All the ones I can find are
USB modem only - with a typical 70 pound hardware cost to get the Ethernet
modem?

With BT based broadband you will be using ADSL so will need a ADSL modem and
not a cable modem

There are one or two ISP's whose "free USB modems" include a ethernet
socket - including BT's own ISP's (excluding the cheapest BT Broadband Basic
tariff)

However, I would choose your ISP on the features you want and not worry
about the modem they may/may not bundle with it - as you can buy ethernet
ADSL modems for under 20 from somewhere like http://www.ebuyer.com/ (try
Quickfind code: 48449 for instance)

Regards
Sunil

Old August 7th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin

Useful stuff - thanks.

Sorry, have *always* been on NTL, so I use the term "Cable Modem" out of
habit when I don't mean it...

Robin

Old August 7th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

Sunil Sood proclaimed...

However, I would choose your ISP on the features you want and not worry
about the modem they may/may not bundle with it - as you can buy ethernet
ADSL modems for under 20 from somewhere like http://www.ebuyer.com/ (try
Quickfind code: 48449 for instance)

hehe, man that's a cheap router

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk
Old August 8th 05, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Billy

Hi Robin,

If you don't find an ISP that helps re ethernet modem then you
could look here for starters ..............

http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/re...nk-dsl300t.asp

Good Luck

Billy

Old August 8th 05, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Stri:
Sunil Sood proclaimed...

However, I would choose your ISP on the features you want and not
worry about the modem they may/may not bundle with it - as you can
buy ethernet ADSL modems for under 20 from somewhere like
http://www.ebuyer.com/ (try Quickfind code: 48449 for instance)

hehe, man that's a cheap router

And very good too!

For Free 10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or 5 when referred to
easyMobile contact me via above site.

Old August 8th 05, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

I have just signed up to BTbroadband the middle package (not yahoo!) and
they supplied me with a 2 port adsl modem router, one ethernet port and one
USB port, and the modem is recognised as a 'GlobespanVirata UPnP IGD in
Viking' in my network, all I need is broadband to see if it works!

Des

Old August 8th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:26:46 GMT, "Des"
wrote:

and
they supplied me with a 2 port adsl modem router, one ethernet port and one
USB port, and the modem is recognised as a 'GlobespanVirata UPnP IGD in
Viking' in my network, all I need is broadband to see if it works!

sounds like a BT Voyger 205

Phil