Newbie LAN question

Old August 8th 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newbie

Default Newbie LAN question

I have today finally been connected to broadband (woohoo), my previous set
up was ISDN with a structured cabling LAN with 4no. PC's connected

Now:

I have an SMC ADSL 2 Barricade Modem/Router and a Structured cabling Lan

I have connected the Router to the Uplink port of my existing 10/100 switch

I can connect to the internet etc. on the main PC, my router sets the ip
range 192.168 etc.

My question is, how do I get the other PC's on the LAN to connect to the
internet and allow file sharing as before from the main PC? they are
currently all set to 'obtain ip address automatically'

Please help

many thanks

Old August 8th 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newbie

Also, do I need to add filters if I just want Broadband at a particular PC
(Bear in mind I have RJ45 points)

Old August 8th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Newbie" wrote in message
I have today finally been connected to broadband (woohoo), my previous
set
up was ISDN with a structured cabling LAN with 4no. PC's connected

Now:

I have an SMC ADSL 2 Barricade Modem/Router and a Structured cabling Lan

I have connected the Router to the Uplink port of my existing 10/100
switch

I can connect to the internet etc. on the main PC, my router sets the ip
range 192.168 etc.

My question is, how do I get the other PC's on the LAN to connect to the
internet and allow file sharing as before from the main PC? they are
currently all set to 'obtain ip address automatically'

They should all pick up a private address in your 192.168 range when you
reboot them. Or (assuming WinXP) go to Control Panel then select Network
Connections, then right-click the icon for your LAN connection (Local Area
Connection or something similar), select Repair and it should try and
acquire an IP address.

Ivor

Old August 8th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:29:43 +0000 (UTC), "Newbie"
wrote:

Also, do I need to add filters if I just want Broadband at a particular PC
(Bear in mind I have RJ45 points)

filters are to keep ADSL out of telephony devices - phones, faxes,
modems, sky boxes, alarms CLID units, dialler boxes - so you only need
put them in for that purpose.

if you have non-standard wiring you can figure out how to conect the
filters - they come with a BT plug and socket.

you can't have more than 1 ADSL device connected to a line at one
time.

Phil