Why no ADSL?

Old August 9th 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.R.Brady

Default Why no ADSL?

I've subscribed to Plusnet bb, told my line was activated, bought
router/modem (grr!) then had the order for 2Mbit cancelled by BT.
Second order placed by Plusnet for 1Mbit has also been cancelled.
I'd like to find out why and what the issues are; Plusnet suggest I ring
150; BT point me back to Plusnet.
How do I learn more or take it further? The online checkers say that 2M
is possible or that I have a DACS.
Any advice appreciated.
Phil

Old August 9th 05, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

P.R.Brady wrote:
I've subscribed to Plusnet bb, told my line was activated, bought
router/modem (grr!) then had the order for 2Mbit cancelled by BT.
Second order placed by Plusnet for 1Mbit has also been cancelled.
I'd like to find out why and what the issues are; Plusnet suggest I
ring 150; BT point me back to Plusnet.
How do I learn more or take it further? The online checkers say that
2M is possible or that I have a DACS.
Any advice appreciated.

It is possible that you are in the unfortunate position of being DAC'sed
without anyway of having it removed. Other than that it could be possible
that the network going from the exchange to your house will not allow DSL to
work at all.

The only information you will be able to get will be from which ever ISP you
decide to go with as BT Wholesale will not talk to the end user. You could
try again, but for 512k, explaining the problems you have had & ask them to
place a manual order (in doing so bypassing all the automatic checks) & see
where that gets you.

Old August 9th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 09 Aug 2005, P.R.Brady uttered the following:

What does www.bt.com/broadband say when you tap in your phone number?

--
Phil Chung (http://www.philipchung.co.uk/)
Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail
Old August 9th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:14:00 +0100, "P.R.Brady"
wrote:

Plusnet suggest I ring
150; BT point me back to Plusnet.
How do I learn more or take it further? The online checkers say that 2M
is possible or that I have a DACS.

*and* that you have a DACs.

Firstly I would change ISP if Plusnet are that bad at handling a DACS
line, then simply re-order at up to the max speed offerred by
www.bt.com/broadband - the DACS will be removed as part of the order
*or* they will come back and say its too expensive to remove and
you're stuffed.

calling 150 is pointless, its an ISP / Wholesale issue.

Phil

Old August 10th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bruno

If I were you, I would look for another ISP. I was with PlusNet for 30
months and just cancelled. In Feb they said I would get a speed upgrade
up to 8Mbps. Still waiting for an upgrade, whilst new customers in
April enjoy 2Mbps for 7 less than I was paying. Also, Contention
ratio is at the exchange and on the PlusNet Network. So 50:1 at the BT
exchange and then 30:1 on their network. They actually had the nerve to
send an email out saying that they were "upgrading" my contention from
50:1 to 30:1. They also said in feb that they would have no network
restrictions and no traffic shaping. They are doing all of what they
said they would not do and have not officially informed their
customers. In breach of their own terms and conditions as they are
supposed to inform customers 14 days in advance of any change to their
service.
The way I see it, it was just a marketing ploy to keep their customers
as other ISPs were offering faster speeds.
I finally cancelled as even at 512 my connection was appalling,
connection dropping, not getting through to sites, very slow, at times
slower than dial-up.
As to their customer support, the best advice they can give "is to
unplug your modem from the mains for an hour"...

Old August 10th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P.R.Brady

Phil Chung wrote:
On 09 Aug 2005, P.R.Brady uttered the following:

I've subscribed to Plusnet bb, told my line was activated, bought
router/modem (grr!) then had the order for 2Mbit cancelled by BT.
Second order placed by Plusnet for 1Mbit has also been cancelled.
I'd like to find out why and what the issues are; Plusnet suggest I ring
150; BT point me back to Plusnet.
How do I learn more or take it further? The online checkers say that 2M
is possible or that I have a DACS.
Any advice appreciated.
Phil

What does www.bt.com/broadband say when you tap in your phone number?

My phone number: 2 Meg
My postcode: 1 Meg
My addrss: 1 Meg
Neighbour's phone number: Very unlikely 512K or 256K.

Phil

Old August 11th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:08:01 +0100, "P.R.Brady"
wrote:

My phone number: 2 Meg

its the verbage at the bottom of the checker output that is of
interest as you mention a DACS. Mind, its broke today.

Phil