Another wanadoo livebox query

Old August 9th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jan

Default Another wanadoo livebox query

Reposted as it tagged on another posting

Have set up wanadoo wireless broadband.

I'm trying to get a stronger signal to where I'd ideally use my laptop.

Its at 36 mbps if I have the adapter ( that plugs into the USB port) above
my head and round a door frame!!! otherwise its only at 1 or 2 mbps.

So being a complete novice at this sort of stuff, what I'm wondering is
this.... if I put the Livebox on an extension phone cable ( so the signal
travels one wall less) wlll the signal be better- or doesn't it work like
that.?

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Old August 10th 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul H

I had a similar problem with a friends USB wireless livebox thingy. Signal
1-2 at best and dropping out. Spent ages trying to work it out before I
tried my own wireless adapter - 54Mbs straight away. It appears the adapter
they provide is cheap crap. Buy your own, Belkin, Netgear whatever and
follow the instructions in the book via the website on setting up your own
wireless equipment. Pretty easy and a whole lot better.

Old August 10th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jan

Paul H wrote:
I had a similar problem with a friends USB wireless livebox thingy.
Signal 1-2 at best and dropping out. Spent ages trying to work it
out before I tried my own wireless adapter - 54Mbs straight away. It
appears the adapter they provide is cheap crap. Buy your own,
Belkin, Netgear whatever and follow the instructions in the book via
the website on setting up your own wireless equipment. Pretty easy
and a whole lot better. P

My laptop has its own wireless thingie built in. I set it all up and it was
working fine- as in signal reaching laptop. I just couldn't get IE or OE
etc. Phoned Wanadoo support- who couldn't/wouldn't help ;-).

As it was important that I got back online quickly, I had to use their
adapter etc.

Jan