Recommendation for ADSL connection

Old September 13th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AndyColeman

Default Recommendation for ADSL connection

Hi,

My employer has been paying for my ADSL line for the past 3-4 years but
now that I am not providing out of hours support they have decided to
take it away. So I am looking for a replacement.

Currently I am connected through BT's Business service which I have
never had a problem with. But is the consumer side as reliable as I
have read various bad comments about them.

A reliable service is more important to me than the cost. Also the
current BT connection is 2MB so I would not want to have anything less
than that.

The BT connection comes with a four port router which has a seperate
Linksys WAP connected to it. I would like to get a combination of the
WAP and Router so any recomendations would be great.

Thanks
Andy

Old September 13th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ng598

"AndyColeman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My employer has been paying for my ADSL line for the past 3-4 years but
now that I am not providing out of hours support they have decided to
take it away. So I am looking for a replacement.

Currently I am connected through BT's Business service which I have
never had a problem with. But is the consumer side as reliable as I
have read various bad comments about them.

A reliable service is more important to me than the cost. Also the
current BT connection is 2MB so I would not want to have anything less
than that.

The BT connection comes with a four port router which has a seperate
Linksys WAP connected to it. I would like to get a combination of the
WAP and Router so any recomendations would be great.

Thanks
Andy

I would recommend migration to Freedom2Surf. Only 14.99 per month for as
fast as your line will go. Sorry, can't recommend any hardware.

Old September 13th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Sep 2005 [sometime], "AndyColeman" wrote:

A reliable service is more important to me than the cost. Also the
current BT connection is 2MB so I would not want to have anything less
than that.

Depends a little on what you want to use it for, whether you need a fixed IP,
how much traffic you expect over the link, whether you want to run servers...
Also, whether binary newsgroups are important to you (eg some ISPs buy in the
news feed for better retention, some do their own [mostly OK] news services).

See http://makeashorterlink.com/?R55D629CB (ADSLguide.org compare 5 ISPs:
Clara.net, Demon, BT Yahoo, Eclipse, Plus.Net) but you could compare many on
their list... You'll be able to migrate to a compatible service, so is yours
20:1 or 50:1 at present ? If 20:1 expect to be on business rates with many an
ISP, if they offer that, and be paying, perhaps OTT prices - I know cost might
not appear important, but comparing 25 with 50 +VAT may force you to rethink!

I have a bias, as additional sign-ups could eventually make my costs nil :-)

Old September 13th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article .com,
"AndyColeman" wrote:

A reliable service is more important to me than the cost. Also the
current BT connection is 2MB so I would not want to have anything less
than that.

It depends if you have any specific requirements, email, newsgroups,
multiple IPs etc.

Personally I'm with Freedom2Surf and find them great, well priced and
also a good reliable service.

I'd also look at Zen, Metronet, Eclipse and maybe Pipex, Plusnet fit the
bill on paper but do seem to be taking a right old bashing lately :-)

The BT connection comes with a four port router which has a seperate
Linksys WAP connected to it. I would like to get a combination of the
WAP and Router so any recomendations would be great.

Zyxel or Draytek would get my vote having done a fair bit of homework
before buying one.

cheers,
Paul

Old September 13th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Osiris

We recommend Gravity Internet for all our small business users. They
are a small company themselves and provide excellent support. Their
ADSL Pro products are equivalent to the BT business products (i.e.
20:1) and better priced. They also use IPStream for reliability,
instead of Datastream.

http://www.gravityinternet.net/servi...nect-adsl.html

For ADSL hardware, I'd recommend Linksys or Speedtouch products.

Old September 14th 05, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

For quality service, Zen internet.

But lot's of others out there cheaper.

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
news

Old September 14th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marky

Avoid Plusnet at all costs !!!

I'm with freedom2surf migrated from + 100% can't recommend them enough.

Old September 15th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Marky wrote:
Avoid Plusnet at all costs !!!

Works well for me.