A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

line attenuation



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 13th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default line attenuation

Am I correct in thinking that the line attenuation is mainly dependent on
the length of the line from the exchange? Does the speed of the BB
connection affect the line attenuation aswell as the SNR?
The reason for asking is that my ISP did not upgrade me to 2mb, but did
upgrade my mate who lives down the road from me. I've tested both lines with
Dr. Speedtouch with the following results.
My stats (across a 1mb connection)
Receive attenuation = 46dB
SNR =26dB

My mates stats ( across a bootifully fast 2mb connection )
Receive attenuation = 49dB
SNR = 14dB

I basically want to argue that if they can upgrade him, then they should
upgrade me.
Cheers,
Steve.


  #2  
Old September 13th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default line attenuation

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:02:38 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that the line attenuation is mainly dependent on
the length of the line from the exchange?


yes, thickness, material, number and quality of joints are also
factors.

Does the speed of the BB
connection affect the line attenuation aswell as the SNR?


only a little bit.

The reason for asking is that my ISP did not upgrade me to 2mb, but did
upgrade my mate who lives down the road from me. I've tested both lines with
Dr. Speedtouch with the following results.
My stats (across a 1mb connection)
Receive attenuation = 46dB
SNR =26dB


bit better than the one below

My mates stats ( across a bootifully fast 2mb connection )
Receive attenuation = 49dB
SNR = 14dB

I basically want to argue that if they can upgrade him, then they should
upgrade me.


logical. They may argue that neither of you should be upgraded :-)

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices, see
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=tiscali

AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
  #3  
Old September 13th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default line attenuation

Thanks for the answers Phil. I'll give Virgin a bell tomorrow.
"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:02:38 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that the line attenuation is mainly dependent on
the length of the line from the exchange?


yes, thickness, material, number and quality of joints are also
factors.

Does the speed of the BB
connection affect the line attenuation aswell as the SNR?


only a little bit.

The reason for asking is that my ISP did not upgrade me to 2mb, but did
upgrade my mate who lives down the road from me. I've tested both lines
with
Dr. Speedtouch with the following results.
My stats (across a 1mb connection)
Receive attenuation = 46dB
SNR =26dB


bit better than the one below

My mates stats ( across a bootifully fast 2mb connection )
Receive attenuation = 49dB
SNR = 14dB

I basically want to argue that if they can upgrade him, then they should
upgrade me.


logical. They may argue that neither of you should be upgraded :-)

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices, see
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=tiscali

AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.



  #4  
Old September 13th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 81
Default line attenuation


I basically want to argue that if they can upgrade him, then they
should
upgrade me.


Best of luck. You will probably find that it was BT Wholesale who said
they couldn't do the upgrade, not Virgin. Run your number through the
checker below - if it says you can't get 2 meg, Virgin can't do anything
about it. Perhaps get on to BT.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Something strange about BT now though. I upgraded to 2 meg about 6
months ago with no problems. Now when I run my number through any
checkers, they say I can't get 2 meg, and MAY be able to get 1 meg! I'm
getting 40 db downstream anntenuation, with a 26 db snr. Anybody have
any ideas why BT's records would have changed? I only live 1.1KM from
the exchange. I know it's not a problem just now, but I can see a
problem if I was to migrate to another ISP.

George


  #5  
Old September 13th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default line attenuation

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:25:29 +0100, "George"
wrote:

I'm
getting 40 db downstream anntenuation, with a 26 db snr. Anybody have
any ideas why BT's records would have changed?


they tightened up the limits as a result of getting too many faults on
speed upgrades.

I only live 1.1KM from
the exchange. I know it's not a problem just now, but I can see a
problem if I was to migrate to another ISP.


generally migration is OK as they just change the existing service
over, but there is potential for a mess.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices, see
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=tiscali

AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
  #6  
Old September 13th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 352
Default line attenuation

George wrote:

: Best of luck. You will probably find that it was BT Wholesale who said
: they couldn't do the upgrade, not Virgin. Run your number through the
: checker below - if it says you can't get 2 meg, Virgin can't do anything
: about it. Perhaps get on to BT.

Oh yes they can! ISPs *CAN* put a "manual order" in if lines fail the BT
checker - but most don't want the bother and use it as gospel!
  #7  
Old September 14th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 422
Default line attenuation

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
George wrote:

Best of luck. You will probably find that it was BT Wholesale who
said they couldn't do the upgrade, not Virgin. Run your number
through the checker below - if it says you can't get 2 meg, Virgin
can't do anything about it. Perhaps get on to BT.


Oh yes they can! ISPs *CAN* put a "manual order" in if lines fail the
BT checker - but most don't want the bother and use it as gospel!


Because they don't want to cover the costs of BT Wholesale asking BT
Retail to get an engineer to go to site.

It's come down from on high that any problems that appear to be linked
to a failed upgrade are not to be visited, anyway, but refferred to an
internal dept which probably would mean a downgrade to a lower speed.
So ultimately the ISP's would have to pay to be told that the customer
has to be downgraded.

Hardly suprising that they now use the guide lines as gospel is it?


  #8  
Old September 14th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 352
Default line attenuation

Kraftee please we're bristish.com wrote:

: Because they don't want to cover the costs of BT Wholesale asking BT
: Retail to get an engineer to go to site.

Well in my case that's not what happened! The ISP's (Wanadoo as it happens)
web-site failed to upgrade me but (at that time) gave an error code instead
of a message. I phoned and the womand said "I will put it through manually".
It was done *during* the following night when few BT people would be
around....I presumed remotely via some ISP access route into the ADSL
system.

The BT checker still says I cannot have the 2Mb I have working just
perfectly (with excellent SNR)
  #9  
Old September 14th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 422
Default line attenuation

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Kraftee please we're bristish.com
wrote:

Because they don't want to cover the costs of BT Wholesale asking BT
Retail to get an engineer to go to site.


Well in my case that's not what happened! The ISP's (Wanadoo as it
happens) web-site failed to upgrade me but (at that time) gave an
error code instead of a message. I phoned and the womand said "I will
put it through manually". It was done *during* the following night
when few BT people would be around....I presumed remotely via some
ISP access route into the ADSL system.

The BT checker still says I cannot have the 2Mb I have working just
perfectly (with excellent SNR)


Don't relax yet, the 'blow' could fall in a couple of months if you have
any problems.....


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Line Attenuation Fred Finisterre uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 March 16th 05 05:04 PM
Line Attenuation Lo Salt uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 9 September 27th 04 10:23 PM
Line attenuation Graham Daniels uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 September 26th 04 03:20 PM
Line Attenuation Graham Daniels uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 September 26th 04 10:56 AM
Can turning up line signal cause poor line attenuation? Simon Fearby uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 August 31st 03 05:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.