Downloading via wireless

Old September 13th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Downloading via wireless

When I download large binaries, is it ok to do this via wireless, or
will my downloads be more reliable if I am directly plugged into the
router via ethernet? Does it make a difference?

Thanks
Old September 13th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

[email protected] proclaimed...

When I download large binaries, is it ok to do this via wireless, or
will my downloads be more reliable if I am directly plugged into the
router via ethernet? Does it make a difference?

Thanks

If wireless is configured correctly and is within the specified distance
I don't see it hurting.

--
www.stri.tk
Old September 13th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

[email protected] wrote in message
When I download large binaries, is it ok to do this via wireless, or
will my downloads be more reliable if I am directly plugged into the
router via ethernet? Does it make a difference?

My experience is that downloads via Ethernet are much faster and more
reliable than by wireless. Wireless is great for small volumes of data (web
browsing, email) but I've had my wireless connection drop out far too many
times (even in a very strong signal area such as close to the router) to
trust it.

I used my wireless laptop around the house, but if want to copy large
amounts of data (eg documents and emails from main PC to laptop) I always
take take PC to the router and plug it in.

Old September 14th 05, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

The wireless link is simplex, i.e. data is transmitted in one direction at
the time.
Consequently downloads will be a somewhat slower,
but provided your wireless connection is stable there should be no problems
with reliability.
Regards,
Martin

Old September 14th 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

"Martin?" wrote:
The wireless link is simplex, i.e. data is transmitted in one direction at
the time.
Consequently downloads will be a somewhat slower,
but provided your wireless connection is stable there should be no problems
with reliability.

No, it won't.
The slowness of the ADSL/... link usually dominates.
I easily get 700K/s downloads over my 802.11b link.
Old September 14th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sniffer

No,

The ADSL bandwidth you purchased will be the limiting factor. Wireless,
even at 11Mbs is a lot faster than that

My wireless laptop and UTP connected Desktop both achieve the same
download speeds of 1840+kbs on my 2Meg connection

Old September 14th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

[email protected] wrote:

When I download large binaries, is it ok to do this via wireless, or
will my downloads be more reliable if I am directly plugged into the
router via ethernet? Does it make a difference?

Thanks

In theory there should not be a major difference but some wireless links
can 'choke' on large file transfers and start timing out. I had this
with a Belkin wireless access point (I also tried a second one to make
sure that the first wasn't faulty) and no amount of tweaking would fix
it. In the end the Belkin was pensioned off and I have had the
opportunity to try a range of kit from various manufacturers (due to my
job in IT support) and I have not had these problems with anything from
Draytek, Netgear, Linksys, 2Wire - and even eBuyer cheapies!