Broadband problems.

Old September 14th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jcburgwin

Default Broadband problems.

Hi,

I have been with Demon for around 8 months and up until now have had no
problems at all them.

However, for the last couple of weeks I have noticed that from around
7pm onwards my connection dramatically slows down. I have just done a
test using a speed tester and got a result of 222Mbits/sec!

I have been in touch with Demon and they told me to do some speed tests
by going to the BT 'speedtest' site, entering my phone number and
running a speed test. I have been doing this for a few days and always
get a good result whatever time I run the test.

So what does this mean? It seems that the problem is with the Demon
servers.

Can I do anything to speed up the connection at my end?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks, Jason

Old September 14th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MrSmickerAbacha

what speed are you on?

Old September 14th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Hi Jason
I assume you mean 222kbits/sec?. I have been with DemonHome for about
two months and although they quote 2meg speeds mine is usually 1 to 1.2
meg and very occasionally down to 200 to 300 kbits/sec which for me has
not been a problem but if it became more frequent I would contact them!
I wonder if the 50 : 1 contention ratio is becoming a problem for them?
Cheers
Steve

Old September 14th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jcburgwin

Hi, sorry, yes I meant 222kbits/sec!

I was recently upgraded to the 2 meg service.

Old September 15th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 14 Sep 2005 12:50:08 -0700, "jcburgwin"
wrote:

So what does this mean? It seems that the problem is with the Demon
servers.

it means the connection from you to the BT speedtest server (on thier
net) is better than the connection to the alternative speed test
server via BT then demon then whoever.

Usually this means the connection from BT to Demon is full yloaded,
and will show a high ping on the two hops after the home gateway
machine.

Phil

Old September 15th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sniffer

If your getting the speeds you state below on a 2Mbps 50:1 contended
connection, you should ask for your money back!

Old September 16th 05, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jcburgwin

Thanks for the replies, I am just about to contact Demon again and see
what can be done.

Cheers, J