Auto reconnect to Pipex using Speedtouch 330

Old September 15th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Auto reconnect to Pipex using Speedtouch 330

Hi.

I connect to Pipex 'xtreme' ADSL using a Speedtouch 330 modem.

The way the thing is set up by default is that I have to double click
the "Speedtouch Connection" shortcut on the desktop to connect to the
internet.

If you start up (for example) Firefox before the connection is made it
simply says "page not found" or equivalent - nothing tries to connect
automatically.

Last night I left the computer downloading something when I went to
bed. This morning I discovered that the connection had disconnected at
some point overnight and had not reconnected, so the download was only
partial.

How do I go aout getting the thing to reconnect automatically if it
disconnects?

This may be slightly complicated by the fact that the computer is a
laptop which is generally set up to use the LAN when docked in work and
only needs to dial-up anything when I'm at home.

Any advice would be great. Please reply to group not by e-mail.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Old September 15th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stri

proclaimed...

[...]

Well the connection shouldn't be dropping. Not even on DSL, it's always
on. You might want to ask your ISP why it's disconnecting.

I'd right click on the dial up properties. Disable prompt for username +
pass, prompt for number and it should redial anyway.

In addition I'd use a download manager.

--
www.stri.tk
Old September 15th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 01:50:11 -0700, frantic wrote:

[...]

If you had a router it could be set to reconnect automatically. USB modems
are the spawn of the devil.

Dave

Old September 15th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Sep 2005 09:17 GMT, Stri wrote:

Well the connection shouldn't be dropping. Not even on DSL, it's always
on. You might want to ask your ISP why it's disconnecting.

While that's clearly been the way people expect DSL services to work, one
I am using (on their budget account, Broadband Plus) has recently decided
to implement idle timeouts, so anyone on this type of 14.99 account whose
line is idle for 30 minutes, will have the connection terminated. Many a
user with a router will probably automatically reconnect, but I expect it
will cause some problems. Anyway, main point is that while you say there
should not be disconnections, it will in future not be so clear cut, when
a user might be on a Broadband Plus or Home Surf account and be subjected
to disconnections [yes, doesn't seem ideal, but for those who have to use
USB, they may be encouraged to buy routers, which is only a good thing in
my eyes from the reduction in attacks which may reach their computers].

Old September 16th 05, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

If you had a router it could be set to reconnect automatically.
USB modems are the spawn of the devil.

OK. Any recommendations for a budget router? Or are they all much of a
muchness?
May as well be a wireless one as my new laptop has wireless built in
anyway.

Ric.