Changing ISP

Old September 15th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JF

Default Changing ISP

My brother in law was on wanadoo recently and wanted to change. he cancelled
his subscription midway through the month. That was 2 weeks ago and wanadoo
haven't released his line so he can't sign up to another ISP. After phoning
them, he has got them to do so, but he still cannot sign up as the Virgin
site says that there is still an order on his line. He has phoned BT and
they have told him that they have to send an engineer out to fix his line if
he wants to change ISP, i imagane this won't be free. Is this the case
everytime you change ISP's on DSL or are BT at the madam.

Thanks

Old September 15th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh JF:
My brother in law was on wanadoo recently and wanted to change. he
cancelled his subscription midway through the month. That was 2 weeks
ago and wanadoo haven't released his line so he can't sign up to
another ISP. After phoning them, he has got them to do so, but he
still cannot sign up as the Virgin site says that there is still an
order on his line. He has phoned BT and they have told him that they
have to send an engineer out to fix his line if he wants to change
ISP, i imagane this won't be free. Is this the case everytime you
change ISP's on DSL or are BT at the madam.
Thanks

This goes to show that this was the wrong way of switching ISPs

What you should do is request a MAC key from the current ISP, then find a new
ISP and quote this MAC key on sign up.

You will then switch to the new ISP within about a week, with only a minute or
two downtime.

For Free £10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or £5 when referred to
easyMobile contact me via above site.

Old September 15th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Sep 2005 12:04 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

with only a minute or two downtime.

If you're lucky. Can take several hours, depending on whether the new ISP
waits for some confirmation from BT Wholesale that migration is completed.
Old September 15th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"JF" wrote in
:

He has phoned BT and
they have told him that they have to send an engineer out to fix his
line if he wants to change ISP, i imagane this won't be free.

I would just refuse to pay any charges. This work should have been
carried out when the original Internet account was cancelled. I can't see
why they would need to send an engineer out though as it should just be a
change in however many databases BT spread themselves out across
nowadays.

--
Colin
Old September 15th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh poster:
On 15 Sep 2005 12:04 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

with only a minute or two downtime.

If you're lucky. Can take several hours, depending on whether the
new ISP waits for some confirmation from BT Wholesale that migration
is completed.

The switch-overs I have had, have all taken place around 01:00 and was only
down for the time it took me to enter my new log in details.

Old September 15th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Sep 2005 18:08 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

The switch-overs I have had, have all taken place around 01:00 and was only
down for the time it took me to enter my new log in details.

Then, as I say, you were lucky ! Last time it was 16 hours or so from no
service to being able to connect with the new ISP... rather daft handling -
the new ISP sent out the login details *after* the ADSL service was live...

Fortunately I knew what should be used and didn't need to make any dial-up
connection to collect the e-mail to find out :-) Peter M

Old September 21st 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I think that it should be mandatory for an ISP to discuss the MAC code
options when customers wish to cease service.