bytes sent & bytes received ...

Old September 15th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tarzan

Default bytes sent & bytes received ...

when i check these 2 ,my bytes sent always exceeds by twice my bytes
received.
and i haevnt sent any large files just surfed websites.
why should this be ? a security breach or trojan at work ???

Old September 15th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

tarzan wrote:

when i check these 2 ,my bytes sent always exceeds by twice my bytes
received.
and i haevnt sent any large files just surfed websites.
why should this be ? a security breach or trojan at work ???

I just looked at my router log which shows frames - rather than bytes - sent
and received, but no matter. I have *received* just over four times as many
frames as I have *sent* - which I think is probably typical. If you're
sending twice as much as you are receiving - and are not uploading any large
websites or anything - you would do well to investigate.

Are you using a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm? If not, perhaps you
should be!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 15th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"tarzan" wrote in message
ups.com...
when i check these 2 ,my bytes sent always exceeds by twice my bytes
received.
and i haevnt sent any large files just surfed websites.
why should this be ? a security breach or trojan at work ???

Because you go to a web page and download the header picture, the
background, the text in the page, the adverts, the shockwave flash adverts
at the side and possibly a crappy midi that plays in the background.

However you have only sent back the detail "yes i have received this".

Old September 15th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh James:
"tarzan" wrote in message
ups.com...
when i check these 2 ,my bytes sent always exceeds by twice my bytes
received.
and i haevnt sent any large files just surfed websites.
why should this be ? a security breach or trojan at work ???

Because you go to a web page and download the header picture, the
background, the text in the page, the adverts, the shockwave flash
adverts at the side and possibly a crappy midi that plays in the
background.
However you have only sent back the detail "yes i have received this".

And your reply indidcates you have read the OP question around the wrong way.

Old September 15th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"James" wrote in
:

Because you go to a web page and download the header picture, the
background, the text in the page, the adverts, the shockwave flash
adverts at the side and possibly a crappy midi that plays in the
background.

However you have only sent back the detail "yes i have received this".

I think you got it the wrong way round. The OP was saying bytes sent
bytes received. So unless there is a peer 2 peer sharing app running then
it is possible there is some malware at work.
Get a decent virus scanner and go to work with Adaware, MS Antispyware,
Spybot, HiJackThis (if you have enough technical knowledgefor that one)
etc.

--
Colin
Old September 15th 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 15 Sep 2005 08:15:28 -0700, [tarzan] said :-

when i check these 2 ,my bytes sent always exceeds by twice my bytes
received.
and i haevnt sent any large files just surfed websites.

why should this be ? a security breach or trojan at work ???

It could be.

Have you checked for spyware, used some online AV checkers etc ?
Old September 16th 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tarzan

Spin Dryer wrote:
On 15 Sep 2005 08:15:28 -0700, [tarzan] said :-

when i check these 2 ,my bytes sent always exceeds by twice my bytes
received.
and i haevnt sent any large files just surfed websites.

why should this be ? a security breach or trojan at work ???

It could be.

Have you checked for spyware, used some online AV checkers etc ?

yes loads of malware .its ok now