DACS and traffic lights

Old September 16th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default DACS and traffic lights

I signed up a few weeks ago to get broadband installed at my new home.
The installation has been delayed, apparently because BT have had
problems dealing with excessive demand, which is a pretty poor excuse
but never mind...

The latest development, however, has left me puzzled. Apparently, BT
have told my ISP that they need to ask the local council for permission
to turn off a set of traffic lights before they can disconnect the DACS
box that is on the line.

The reason I am puzzled by this is that the nearest set of traffic
lights to my home is at least three miles away - there aren't even any
temporary lights (eg on roadworks) any closer than that at the moment.

So can BT's claim be possible? How can a DACS box be affected by a set
of traffic lights more than 3 miles away? (I don't know where the DACS
box is situated, but I'm assuming it is either on or near my house - is
it possible that it is that much further away that I thought?)

Any thoughts much appreciated.

tia,

d.

Old September 16th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

True, but that's one hell of a poke it's giving out if the dropwire is
3 miles long! Maybe that's what's going on and the OP is being served
by an NTE with an external PSU co-located with the traffic light PLC?

Any field engineers care to comment?