Cost of using SKYPE in bandwith

Old September 16th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Cost of using SKYPE in bandwith

Having been persuaded to download and install my ISP's talk software,
i.e. PlusTalk from PlusNet, I have been shocked to see their warning
about exceeding the bandwidth it uses per hour.
As a great user of SKYPE to talk with a friend who also has SKYPE, am I
using up my allocation of Bandwidth very quickly. If so, is there an ISP
out there that does not limit or put a cap on the use of the likes of
SKYPE.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old September 16th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Derrick Fawsitt
says...
Having been persuaded to download and install my ISP's talk software,
i.e. PlusTalk from PlusNet, I have been shocked to see their warning
about exceeding the bandwidth it uses per hour.
As a great user of SKYPE to talk with a friend who also has SKYPE, am I
using up my allocation of Bandwidth very quickly. If so, is there an ISP
out there that does not limit or put a cap on the use of the likes of
SKYPE.

Eclipse and Zen. No capping on their products whatsoever (except for
Eclipse low user tarriffs).

www.eclipse.net.uk

www.zen.co.uk

FR
Old September 16th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Sep 2005 21:57, Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Having been persuaded to download and install my ISP's talk software,
i.e. PlusTalk from PlusNet, I have been shocked to see their warning
about exceeding the bandwidth it uses per hour.

What warning is that, then ? Sorry, I have seen the PlusTalk Service
mentioned, but since that's not using Skype, then I am unsure what it
is you have seen ? Of course, if you have actual usage figures which
could indicate the traffic you've been passing, that may enlighten me
even more. Incidentally, there's no quota limit on Broadband Plus if
that helps you (rather than messing about changing ISP for no reason)

Old September 17th 05, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"poster" wrote in message
. net...
On 16 Sep 2005 21:57, Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Having been persuaded to download and install my ISP's talk software,
i.e. PlusTalk from PlusNet, I have been shocked to see their warning
about exceeding the bandwidth it uses per hour.

What warning is that, then ? Sorry, I have seen the PlusTalk Service
mentioned, but since that's not using Skype, then I am unsure what it
is you have seen ? Of course, if you have actual usage figures which
could indicate the traffic you've been passing, that may enlighten me
even more. Incidentally, there's no quota limit on Broadband Plus if
that helps you (rather than messing about changing ISP for no reason)

He may be talking about PlusNets Sustainable Usage Policy which only allows
you to use 30GB traffic per month between 4pm and 12am if you are on
premier.
But seeing that PlusNet estimate that a one hour call only uses about 70 or
80MB I cannot see anyone going over this 30GB limit just using PlusTalk
alone.

Old September 17th 05, 03:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Sep 2005 00:37, "Pete M Williams" [email protected] wrote:

He may be talking about PlusNets Sustainable Usage Policy which only
allows you to use 30GB traffic per month between 4pm and 12am if you
are on premier.

But seeing that PlusNet estimate that a one hour call only uses about
70 or 80MB I cannot see anyone going over this 30GB limit just using
PlusTalk alone.

Yes, that was why I was feeling confused.... awful lot of hours of use
except that was when I saw "Skype" and while it may be described as of
high quality, I somehow doubt it would be using 5+ times that of SIP.