Faxing solution required please

Old September 17th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Faxing solution required please

Martin wrote:

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but there's always some good
sound knowledge on this group.

For many years I have been using a PC as a fax machine, running an
aged version of Winfax. It's worked extremely well for me and far
more suitable than a separate fax machine.

However, there are some problems now, particularly with regard to the
high costs of power, since the PC's on twenty-fours hours every day
and also, with newer PCs, they don't automatically boot when there's
a power failure and in any case, Windows requires a password when
rebooting, making it impossible to re-start Winfax without logging
in. This latter point is an especial problem, since I'm in an area
which suffers power failures, and no, I don't want to buy a UPS.

A fax machine is antiquated really and means that incoming faxes
can't be stored on the PC and outgoing faxes have to be physically
printed out.

Does anything know of a solution which might for example consist of a
fax box (i.e. a fax machine or modem) but with the ability to
retrieve incoming faxes from the PC (after it's switched on), rather
than printing them out. Similarly, sending a fax from the PC could be
achieved without printing it on paper first.

I'm cross-posting this to u.t.bb - 'cos this sort of thing has been
discussed lots there.

Your problem seems to be mainly with *receiving* unattended faxes - is that
right? You presumably have an internet connection, to be able to post your
question. Even better if it's broadband.

Have you considered fax-to-email? I have a fax2email facility bundled with
my PlusNet broadband account - but there are third party solutions available
too. Basically, you are given a dummy phone number (often 0870 xxxxxx) to
which the faxes have to be sent. Faxes are automatically converted to email
attachments - typically in .tif format - and mailed to your nominated email
account. So you don't need to have any equipment switched on at the time
when the fax is sent - and you can log into your email account and retreive
the faxes at your leisure.

*Sending* faxes is usually less of a problem - because you are in control
and can make sure that the equipment is on and booted up when it needs to
be. It *is* possible to use email to fax facilities - but these all have
their limititations - and it's often easier simply to use a Winfax with a
dial-up fax-modem.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 17th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but there's always some good
sound knowledge on this group.

For many years I have been using a PC as a fax machine, running an
aged version of Winfax. It's worked extremely well for me and far
more suitable than a separate fax machine.

*Sending* faxes is usually less of a problem - because you are in control
and can make sure that the equipment is on and booted up when it needs to
be. It *is* possible to use email to fax facilities - but these all have
their limititations - and it's often easier simply to use a Winfax with a
dial-up fax-modem.

Also, Windows XP has its own fax facililities built-in for outgoing faxes:
you print to a pseudo-printer device and the wizard guides you through
filling in the recipient's name and number, the subject and the covering
message. Depending on whether you have XP as opposed to an older version of
Windows, this may or may not be easier than using Winfax.

I can strongly recommend the fax-to-email gateway provided by PlusNet for
incoming faxes. The only thing you have to remember is to send yourself a
keepalive fax every few months if you haven't received a real fax from
anyone, otherwise they reallocate your number to someone else.

Old September 17th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

"Martin Underwood"

Still using isp.net, Martin ? I still wonder what did they do to you to
warrante getting junk mail as a result of your newsgroup posts... Peter

Old September 17th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Saleh Jambo

"poster" wrote in message
. net...

Please would you stop attaching your plusnet referral link one minute and
not the next.

Old September 17th 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Sep 2005 17:34 GMT, "Saleh Jambo" wrote:

I thought "you" were going to find some other 0845 providers...

: Subject: Change to 0845.org terms and charges
: From: "LordSmickerAbacha"
: Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:40:54 GMT
:
: give me a hour or two and i will do.
:
: HTH.
:

Please would you stop attaching your plusnet referral link one minute
and not the next.

I'll reduce the frequency of change, if you will reduce, to one,
the number of posting "identities" you use. Peter M.

Old September 17th 05, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Saleh Jambo

. net...

http://www.uk2numbers.co.uk/?src=google&kw=95413133

http://www.gatewaytelecom.co.uk/0845_numbers.htm

http://www.pickaweb.co.uk/0845-numbers.htm

http://www.planet-numbers.co.uk/

Old September 19th 05, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message

Have you considered fax-to-email?

I use inweb.co.uk it seems to work OK

--

J B

Old September 19th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Saleh Jambo

"Tone" wrote in message

Tone we all know its you, if you look carefully i aAM NOT who you think i
am.

Old September 19th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Saleh Jambo

"Tone" wrote in message

PS Pete, hows Mrs Smicker Abacha these days, another of your sock puppets
that hasnt popped up in a while.

Old September 19th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Saleh Jambo

"Tone" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:32:12 GMT, "Saleh Jambo"

Tone yo are Peter Turtill, your well known for doing this going back years,
your also well known for pretending your mother had cancer and other such
vulgar things

You are in most peoples killfiles anyway so not many people will see your
ususla spouting and rubbish.

Any of the following sock puppets of yours ring a bell tone.

"Peter Turtill"

Thomas Garret
Edward Exworth
Pierre Le Turtle