tiscali speed upgrades

Old September 17th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

Default tiscali speed upgrades

Anyone had any luck witht the unannounced/find it yourself speed upgrade? I
see some people had to give them a kick for the upgrade process to work
after they applied, as I did months ago for the 256 to 512 upgrade.

Bob

PS someone ought to tell them what the word "unlimited" really means. They
think unlimited means if you use it at peak times they can put all the heavy
users together and limit you. It's like advertising a car as being totally
blue, except for the green bits.

Old September 18th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Bob Smith" [email protected] wrote in message
Anyone had any luck witht the unannounced/find it yourself speed upgrade?

see some people had to give them a kick for the upgrade process to work
after they applied, as I did months ago for the 256 to 512 upgrade.

Got a call on Fri from Tiscali

They wanted to upgrade my 256 to 512 and drop the price from 15.99 to 14.99
but only if I took their CPS.
I said I didn't want their CPS as I already have a good deal and am tied to
a years contract.
I mentioned that the 256 is not being advertised and could I have 512
without the CPS
He just suggested I ring the Sales department and see what they could do.

At no time did he tell me what I have now seen on their website
viz.
I can get 1meg unlimited(ish) for 1 Pound less than I am paying now.

I know Tiscali has been much maligned in this group but in my case it has
been rock steady from day one.

So I am poised over the upgrade now link because I have nothing at all to
lose.

Or have I??

--
Graham.

Old September 18th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

"Graham" wrote in message ...

[...]

They do that a lot - I had to trigger the upgrade myself from 256 to 512,
and this time from 512 to 1M. I was stuck for a while on 512 while new
customers were getting it for 1 less. I could have upgraded then
downgraded to fer the cheaper deal... I have never had them phone me about
an upgrade.

What is CPS? Their phone call bundle? You can get BB without their
telephone package, just go fto the upgrade page on their website. It
explains why they called you - to get more business. They then have the
dodgy policy of not informing you of the BB package without phone calls.

Something I did notice - my webspace went down from 50meg to 20meg within 24
hours of the "upgrade", although my speed has yet to increase (the 96 hours
will be up at 9pm today).

So, the product has been rock solid, but they have conned you twice and
tried to con you once. If you manage to get away from them without 4 weeks
downtime, let me know how you did it.

As for the upgrade, there is nothing to lose if you don't mind the webspace
(unless this is a global thing anyway), and I have yet to get my gain.

Bob

Old September 18th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

As for the upgrade, there is nothing to lose if you don't mind the

webspace
(unless this is a global thing anyway), and I have yet to get my gain.

Well my webspace is still 50Meg

So when they reduced it to 20, assuming it was full, did 20Meg of random
files just evaporate, or did they cancel the webspace altogether and you had
to register for a new one?

I see you are posting via Tiscalis wonderful news server,
So theirs a good chance you wont even see this message.
When I used it, quite often I couldn't even see my own messages.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 18th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

As for the upgrade, there is nothing to lose if you don't mind the
webspace (unless this is a global thing anyway), and I have yet to
get my gain.

Well my webspace is still 50Meg

So when they reduced it to 20, assuming it was full, did 20Meg of
random files just evaporate, or did they cancel the webspace
altogether and you had to register for a new one?

I see you are posting via Tiscalis wonderful news server,
So theirs a good chance you wont even see this message.
When I used it, quite often I couldn't even see my own messages.

Part of the responses to my FTP logon to Tiscali is this:

226 Quotas on: using 27.63 of 20.00 mb

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
Old September 18th 05, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

When I used it, quite often I couldn't even see my own messages.

Part of the responses to my FTP logon to Tiscali is this:

226 Quotas on: using 27.63 of 20.00 mb

Just how far past 20 can you push that?

mine says
226 Quotas on: using 49.68 of 50.00 mb
cant get it io go over the 50 though.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 18th 05, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

"Graham" wrote in message ...

When I used it, quite often I couldn't even see my own messages.

Part of the responses to my FTP logon to Tiscali is this:

226 Quotas on: using 27.63 of 20.00 mb

Just how far past 20 can you push that?

mine says
226 Quotas on: using 49.68 of 50.00 mb
cant get it io go over the 50 though.

I just noticed they changed it when I tried to upload to my webspace. I had
35 megs, and a 20meg allowance, and it kept coming back with an "unable to
write to the directory" error. When I deleted some files, it started
uploading OK. Don't think you can push past the limit, except if you had a
higher limit to start with.

And yes, the news server is hit and miss. I sometimes resort to google.

Bob

Old September 18th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Just noticed this at the end of the "Fair usage policy"

We have removed the caps on all our packages except the 14.99 1meg (2GB
cap).

This is odd as all their products are shown as "unlimited"

Can you confirm this is out of date, and the 14.99 is subject only to the
FUP and not to a formal cap.

--
Graham.

Old September 18th 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Saleh Jambo

"Graham" wrote in message ...

tiscali are a crock of cack imho, get away from them as fast as possible.

Old September 18th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

"Graham" wrote in message ...

Just noticed this at the end of the "Fair usage policy"

We have removed the caps on all our packages except the 14.99 1meg (2GB
cap).

This is odd as all their products are shown as "unlimited"

Can you confirm this is out of date, and the 14.99 is subject only to the
FUP and not to a formal cap.

--

They were capped, and they changed all but the lowest package to unlimited
without announcing it. And dumped 512Kbs without telling anyone they could

Old style:
They were subject to usage caps. If you went over the usage cap, they put
you on the bad boy pipe from 6pm-12am. Continued breaches may result in
them terminating your subscription.

Now:
They are unlimited, except their defininition of unlimited is unique. If
you download a lot at peak times, they will tell you about it 2 or 3 times,
then put you on the bad boy pipe at peak times, with no threat of
terminating the contract. I assume peak times means 6pm-12am as before.

Does anyone else read it this way?

Bob