DHCP lease times on Netgear DG384G

Old September 17th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Hogarty

Default DHCP lease times on Netgear DG384G

Anybody know the default dhcp lease times on the DG384 and is there any
way to make the damm thing release an address?

--
Regards
Tony

Old September 17th 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message [email protected] .co.uk,
Tony Hogarty writes
Anybody know the default dhcp lease times on the DG384 and is there any
way to make the damm thing release an address?

Based on the DHCP leases on my machines, the default lease time is 24
Hours.

In answer to he second question - reboot the router?

--
Peter R Cook
Old September 18th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tony Hogarty wrote:

Anybody know the default dhcp lease times on the DG384 and is there
any way to make the damm thing release an address?

Can't you do it from the PC by typing "ipconfig /release [adapter]" at the
Command Prompt - where [adapter] is the name of your Ethernet card?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 18th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Hogarty

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:42:25 +0100, Peter R Cook wrote:

In message [email protected] .co.uk, Tony
Hogarty writes
Anybody know the default dhcp lease times on the DG384 and is there any
way to make the damm thing release an address?

Based on the DHCP leases on my machines, the default lease time is 24
Hours.

Thanks

In answer to he second question - reboot the router?

No tried that and it didn't seem to work.

Old September 18th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Peter R Cook" wrote in message
In message [email protected] .co.uk, Tony
Hogarty writes
Anybody know the default dhcp lease times on the DG384 and is there any
way to make the damm thing release an address?

Based on the DHCP leases on my machines, the default lease time is 24
Hours.

Interesting. On my DG834GT (the 108Mbps version) the lease time is three
days. I wonder why one version of the router would have a significantly
shorter lease time than another?

In answer to the second question - reboot the router?

That is almost guaranteed to work, unless the router "remembers" its MAC-IP
table from one reboot to the next.

Why do you need to make the router release an address? Assuming the subnet
that you are using has more addresses to give out than you have devices
connected - which is normally the case on a home network - then you
shouldn't need to make the router release an address so it can be given to
another PC.

I know DHCP is supposed to be dynamic, but unless you switch on a PC very
rarely (ie if it's turned off for longer than the IP address's lease time),
it will almost invariably be given an IP address for life.

Old September 18th 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Hogarty

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:00:03 +0100, Martin Underwood wrote:

Why do you need to make the router release an address? Assuming the subnet
that you are using has more addresses to give out than you have devices
connected - which is normally the case on a home network - then you
shouldn't need to make the router release an address so it can be given to
another PC.

I have more machines than IP addresses temporarily as I'm migrating
services between different servers.

Old September 18th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:00:55 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
scrawled:

Tony Hogarty wrote:

Anybody know the default dhcp lease times on the DG384 and is there
any way to make the damm thing release an address?

Have you got anything in the reserved list that's holding on to it?

Can't you do it from the PC by typing "ipconfig /release [adapter]" at the
Command Prompt - where [adapter] is the name of your Ethernet card?

That would release the PC from having the IP address but I'm not sure
that would neccesarily force the router to release the IP back to the
available pool.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old September 18th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Hogarty

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:12:51 +0100, Lurch wrote:

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:00:55 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
scrawled:

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Tony Hogarty
wrote:

Anybody know the default dhcp lease times on the DG384 and is there any
way to make the damm thing release an address?

Have you got anything in the reserved list that's holding on to it?

No, there are two reserved addresses and two which are available for
allocation via dhcp. It should in theory be a simple matter of
reallocating one of the addresses to the changed PC but it doesn't seem to
want to wor. It's not a big deal I'll just have to hook a keyboard and
monitor up to the server and see what is going on.

Can't you do it from the PC by typing "ipconfig /release [adapter]" at
the Command Prompt - where [adapter] is the name of your Ethernet card?

That would release the PC from having the IP address but I'm not sure
that would neccesarily force the router to release the IP back to the
available pool.

It doesn't seem to release it at the router which hangs on to the address
for all it's worth. Most routers seem to have an undocumented interface
via telnet that would allow you to issue commands but I'm not sure if this
particular router does.

Old September 18th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tony Hogarty wrote:

No, there are two reserved addresses and two which are available for
allocation via dhcp. It should in theory be a simple matter of
reallocating one of the addresses to the changed PC but it doesn't
seem to want to wor. It's not a big deal I'll just have to hook a
keyboard and monitor up to the server and see what is going on.

I'm confused! You said earlier that you'd got more PCs than available IP
addresses - and thus needed to release some addresses. I interpreted this to
mean that you were doing this in a large office with hundreds of computers.

You're now talking about *two* addresses! Why can't you change the range of
available addresses dished out by the DHCP server (plus the mask, if
necessary) to give you all the addresses you need without having to release
any?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 19th 05, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Hogarty

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:06:47 +0100, Tiscali Tim wrote:

You're now talking about *two* addresses! Why can't you change the range
of available addresses dished out by the DHCP server (plus the mask, if
necessary) to give you all the addresses you need without having to
release any?

Because these are real IP's not private IP addresses so they are not mine
to give out!