Getting rid of AOL

Old September 18th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Getting rid of AOL

A friend of mine has AOL broadband. He hates it. Speed upgrade never
materialised, wireless router has never worked (bought from and
supported by AOL but they don't know how to get it working), strange
AOL software messing up his PC, funny network error messages that he
doesn't understand, problems with emails, etc.

They're also expensive - because the speed upgrade never arrived he's
paying 30 per month for a 1Mb connection. I'm paying 20 a month
for a 2Mb connection! (with E7even)

He says he would leave AOL and find another ISP but he has a stack of
emails sitting in his AOL mailbox which he needs to keep - and the job
of forwarding them to a "proper" email account (which he could then
access using Outlook Express) is rather daunting - especially since he
can't forward AOL emails properly - none of the content of the email is
preserved (just disappears) and all attachments vanish.

Can anyone help him?

Old September 18th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

You can access your AOL email using imap which means you should be able
to copy the mail off into just about any format you like.

http://www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs..._software.html

cheers,
Paul

I can vouch for this as well as I have just done set it up for a customer.
Works well and they now dont have any AOL software on their pc ( am I glad !).

Cheers

Dave