Help sought - problem configuring D-Link DSL-500

Old September 18th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Macleod

Default Help sought - problem configuring D-Link DSL-500

I can log on successfully to my D-Link DSL-500 router and can use my
browser to configure it as per the instructions of my ISP (PlusNet).
However when I come to 'save and reboot', I get an error message 'Local
Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged'.

The settings appear to be getting saved OK (they are still there when I
manually reboot the PC) - it seems to be at the rebooting stage that the
error occurs. The PC does not reboot, instead it returns to the control
panel in the router's HTML page.

The only other circumstance I have found that produces this error is
switching off the router.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have tried the following:

o Under Control Panel | Internet Gateway | Network Connections,
double-clicking Internet Connection - got message 'Connection failed';

o Under Control Panel | Internet Options, Connections tab, verifying
that 'Never dial a connection' is selected;

o Disabling the firewall - no change.

Regarding hardware, I have checked that the ADSL cable is properly
connected and that there is an ADSL filter in each telephone socket with
a phone plugged into it.

Router settings:

VPI=0, VCI=38 (as specified by PlusNet)
Encapsulation: PPPoA LLC [1]
Login username and password: As supplied by PlusNet (checked)
Authentication: chap [2]
Connect on Demand: Enabled
Idle Time: 0
NAT function: enabled
DMZ state: disabled

[1] I also tried PPPoA VC Mux (the only permitted alternative to LLC)
but there was no difference except that this option wouldn't save - came
back up as LLC again following reboot. (What are LLC and VC Mux anyway?)

[2] I also tried 'pap' for authentication, but this also wouldn't save.

Running WinXP Home Edition SR2.

TIA
--
Jim Macleod
Old September 18th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:31:32 +0100, Jim Macleod
wrote:

However when I come to 'save and reboot', I get an error message 'Local
Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged'.

that's what happens when the router reboots itself, it drops the
ethernet connection to the PC and then brings it up again.

apart from fretting about an error message, is there an actual problem
?

Phil

Old September 18th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Macleod

In article of Sun, 18 Sep
2005 16:11:12 in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson
writes
wrote:

However when I come to 'save and reboot', I get an error message 'Local
Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged'.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this message comes up briefly, twice.

that's what happens when the router reboots itself, it drops the
ethernet connection to the PC and then brings it up again.

apart from fretting about an error message, is there an actual problem
?

Yes there is, I am not connected and cannot access the Internet.

Thanks for your interest, however.
--
Jim Macleod
Old September 18th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

wrote:

However when I come to 'save and reboot', I get an error message
'Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged'.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this message comes up briefly, twice.

that's what happens when the router reboots itself, it drops the
ethernet connection to the PC and then brings it up again.

apart from fretting about an error message, is there an actual
problem ?

Yes there is, I am not connected and cannot access the Internet.

Thanks for your interest, however.

What Phil was trying to get across is that the rebooting of the router
will cause your network connection to disconnect/reconnect.

If you still can't connect after rebooting I would suggest you start
looking at the settings you are inputing into the router & even possibly
is your router even synch'ing with the exchange. It has nothing to do
with the error messages you have quoted...

Old September 18th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

Jim Macleod wrote:
I can log on successfully to my D-Link DSL-500 router and can use my
browser to configure it as per the instructions of my ISP (PlusNet).
However when I come to 'save and reboot', I get an error message 'Local
Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged'.

The settings appear to be getting saved OK (they are still there when I
manually reboot the PC) - it seems to be at the rebooting stage that the
error occurs. The PC does not reboot, instead it returns to the control
panel in the router's HTML page.

snip

That Save and Reboot refers to the router not your PC. You don't
need to reboot your PC for the router to save it's settings.
They're two completely separate devices.

When your router reboots, your PC loses the connection to it
hence the error message. When it reboots it should return to the
control panel webpage.

That's the point Phil and Kraftee are trying to make to you.
Old September 18th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Macleod

In article of
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:00:34 in uk.telecom.broadband, Kraftee
writes
wrote:

However when I come to 'save and reboot', I get an error message
'Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged'.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this message comes up briefly, twice.

that's what happens when the router reboots itself, it drops the
ethernet connection to the PC and then brings it up again.

apart from fretting about an error message, is there an actual
problem ?

Yes there is, I am not connected and cannot access the Internet.

Thanks for your interest, however.

What Phil was trying to get across is that the rebooting of the router
will cause your network connection to disconnect/reconnect.

Yes, that fits with the fact that the supposed 'error message' was
coming up twice. Clearly it was just a distraction anyway.

If you still can't connect after rebooting I would suggest you start
looking at the settings you are inputing into the router & even possibly
is your router even synch'ing with the exchange. It has nothing to do
with the error messages you have quoted...

Since my original posting I have found that the encapsulation should be
VC Mux. However I have altered that and rebooted the router again, but
still can't connect. I'm reasonably confident of my router settings now
and the problem may indeed be the router not synch'ing with the
exchange.

Any suggestions what I do about this?

Thanks to you, Phil, and Trevor for helpful answers to questions which
are no doubt rather obviously from a broadband newbie.
--
Jim Macleod
Old September 19th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Jim Macleod wrote:

Since my original posting I have found that the encapsulation should
be VC Mux. However I have altered that and rebooted the router again,
but still can't connect. I'm reasonably confident of my router
settings now and the problem may indeed be the router not synch'ing
with the exchange.

Any suggestions what I do about this?

Does your router have separate lights for synching and for establishing a
PPP session with your ISP (i.e. actually logging on to your internet
account)? If so, how far does it get? If you point your browser at its
config page, and look at ADSL Status, what does it tell you?

How is it - and other telecoms equipment - physically connected in terms of
sockets and filters?

Is this a new internet connection, or have you already had it working with a
different router or modem?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 19th 05, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Macleod

In article of
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:00:34 in uk.telecom.broadband, Kraftee
writes
What Phil was trying to get across is that the rebooting of the router
will cause your network connection to disconnect/reconnect.

If you still can't connect after rebooting I would suggest you start
looking at the settings you are inputing into the router & even possibly
is your router even synch'ing with the exchange. It has nothing to do
with the error messages you have quoted...

Sorry, should have mentioned in my last posting that the router now
keeps trying to connect but coming up with the message 'LCP error'.

I don't know what LCP means, could this imply a failure to sync with the
exchange
--
Jim Macleod
Old September 19th 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:10:17 +0100, Jim Macleod
wrote:

Sorry, should have mentioned in my last posting that the router now
keeps trying to connect but coming up with the message 'LCP error'.

The PPP LCP provides a method of establishing, configuring,
maintaining, and terminating the point-to-point connection. Best check
your settings carefully, inc format of username. Try the BT test login
[email protected]_domain (underlines not spaces) wothout a password.

Does it have a stready green ADSL Link LED showing a connection to the
exchange ?

The "Line condition" screen should show "Showtime" if the ADSL link is
up, even if there are authentication issues.

this might be a useful resource for you:-
http://shadow.sentry.org/~trev/dsl50x.html

Phil