What does a minus attentuation figure mean?

Old September 19th 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default What does a minus attentuation figure mean?

GA wrote:
My router usually shows attenuation figures of around 30 dB upstream
and around 62 dB downstream. I recently lost all connectivity (voice
and broadband) and it was traced to a disconnected line at the
exchange.

After the line was re-instated at first I got a downstream figure of
-64 dB which then went back to 62 dB but this morning is showing again
at -64 dB.

The other poster answered what probably happened.
As to what it means, 60dB attenuation is the signal when it gets to you
being about a millionth of the power when it it set out.
-60dB attenuation is a power gain of about a million in the line - rather
unlikely.
Old September 19th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GA

On 19 Sep 2005 12:20:10 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:
[snip]
The other poster answered what probably happened.
As to what it means, 60dB attenuation is the signal when it gets to you
being about a millionth of the power when it it set out.
-60dB attenuation is a power gain of about a million in the line - rather
unlikely.

[snip]

Thanks to both - it's obviously my router which throws a wobbly at
64dB.