would these loop loss figures explain my disconnection/sync problems?

Old September 19th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jkn

Default would these loop loss figures explain my disconnection/sync problems?

Hi All
I've been experiencing a lot of disconnection/loss of sync problems
with my F9 connection over the last few weeks (is F9 exactly the same
as Plusnet these days, BTW?). My (wireless) Router, a Netgear DG824M,
doesn't give line stats so I spoke to F9 who reported some stats (see
below) which they summarised as 'inconclusive' and reccomended I got a
line test from BT. BT did this test, unfortunately in my absence, and
so SWMBO just followed their over-the-phone instructions about
unplugging the router etc. BT then reported that there was no fault on
the line, but I have no more info from then.

Now from what little I know, the stats reported below, such as 'loop
loss 52dB' indicate that the line is indeed marginal at 2Mbps. I would
like to get back to BT to ask them to give me the results of their
tests. But I want some backup if possible if I need to ask them to
reduce the line speed - I'd much rather have a solid 1Mbps than a
flakey 2Mbps connection.

So - could anyone interpret the results below better than I can and
advise if they are consistent with problems at 2Mbps. FWIW I am going
to try a cheap BT Voyager 100 modem to see what line stats I can get
for myself.

Test Results:
xDSL Status Check
OK
Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync

Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 28 dB
Cell Count 165703322

Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 52 dB
Cell Count 1033603390
Copper Line Test
Test Outcome Pass
Line Test OK T030
Result Test completed - result = INCONCLUSIVE

Test Result Interpretation
Major Findings Further diagnostics required - IP diagnostics required,
ADSL OK
Conclusions Inconclusive
Recommendations Request user to attempt connecting to Service Provider.
If it fails report fault to BT.

Thanks a lot
Jon N

Old September 19th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

jkn wrote:
[...]

If your readings are accurate you are well outside the limit set for
2Mb, so yes that would explain why your service is intermitent. It's a
pity you didn't post any SNR readings as those would have some bearing
on your problem.

Be prepared for a downgrade to 1Mb, well at least it would be stable....

Old September 19th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 19 Sep 2005 08:05:16 -0700, "jkn" wrote:

Major Findings Further diagnostics required - IP diagnostics required,
ADSL OK
Conclusions Inconclusive

so it tells them to do more/different tests. Have they ?
The IP diagnostics are done by the ISP using the Woosh test suite.

52 dB should hold a 2M line OK. Do the problems go away if you plug
into the test socket behind the master ?
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3

You really need the downstream SNR / noise margin to be sure.

Phil