Finding the reason for BT refusing ADSL

Old September 20th 05, 06:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Geddes

Default Finding the reason for BT refusing ADSL

A friend in a nearby village has been refused ADSL by BT on technical
grounds. He got the impression that this was a village-wide problem, but
cannot get a clear explanation of what the problem is.

(Looking at the topography, the cable distance to the exchange in the
next village looks to be a touch under 4km - unless it takes a
particular bizarre and peverse route).

Can customers go to BT and ask for a formal statement of what the
problem is? If so, where does one start?

John Geddes
Derbyshire
Old September 20th 05, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:30:52 +0100, John Geddes
wrote:

Can customers go to BT and ask for a formal statement of what the
problem is? If so, where does one start?

I would start with what the number checker at www.bt.com/broadband
says in its report - the latter paragraphs especially.

Where did this tale come from - did he try to place an order with an
ISP ?

Phil

Old September 20th 05, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Geddes

wrote:

Can customers go to BT and ask for a formal statement of what the
problem is? If so, where does one start?

I would start with what the number checker at www.bt.com/broadband
says in its report - the latter paragraphs especially.

Thanks for that pointer. The response says:

"However, due to your line being supplied using an incompatible
technology, it is currently not possible for your telephone line to
support broadband service. Please accept our apologies. We are
continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and this site
will be updated with developments as they happen."

Checking a neighbour's line on the ADSL checker offers ADSL OK at 1Mbps,
so I guess this looks like a problem on his specific line.

Does this response only occur for those with DACS, or are there other
possible causes?

John Geddes
Old September 20th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:29:39 +0100, John Geddes
wrote:

Does this response only occur for those with DACS, or are there other
possible causes?

it does not occur with DACS, different words are used - "line sharing
device" from memory.

A microwave connection or some remote concentrator device are two
possibilities. A decent ISP should be able to get a one paragraph
explanation from BT Wholesale.

Having another analogue line provided under the "simultaneous provide"
system stipulating that its for ADSL broadband might be a solution.

Phil

Old September 20th 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , John
Geddes writes
"However, due to your line being supplied using an incompatible
technology, it is currently not possible for your telephone line to
support broadband service. Please accept our apologies. We are
continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and this site
will be updated with developments as they happen."

Sounds like TPON. Did anyone ever get adsl on a TPON line or a new line
put in for free?
--
Pete Devlin
"And the devil in a black dress watches over"
Old September 20th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:24:01 +0100, pete devlin
wrote:

Sounds like TPON.

it has wording specific to TPON - "special fibre" from memory, so I'm
not sure.

Did anyone ever get adsl on a TPON line or a new line
put in for free?

"copper overlay" was and is being added to a number of TPON areas to
provide ADSL.

Phil

Old September 20th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Geddes

pete devlin wrote:
In message , John
Geddes writes

"However, due to your line being supplied using an incompatible
technology, it is currently not possible for your telephone line to
support broadband service. Please accept our apologies. We are
continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and this site
will be updated with developments as they happen."

Sounds like TPON. Did anyone ever get adsl on a TPON line or a new line
put in for free?

Just tried four other numbers for the same village. All say OK up to
1Mbps, so TPON is unlikely, if I understand correctly.

John Geddes
Old September 20th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

John Geddes wrote:
Just tried four other numbers for the same village. All say OK up to
1Mbps, so TPON is unlikely, if I understand correctly.

Been scratching my head about this one. Could be aluminium cabling,
used in and around some of the New Towns, but then that would just show
as a line-loss problem. Just conceivably it's using a P-Wire as a line
extender, though I thought they'd all have gone by now. There are some
CMuxes about (used to provide ISDN2 in UXD5 areas) and they don't
accommodate ADSL.

The real reason will be in the order notes on CSS; possibly if you ask
the BT operator nicely, they'll tell you and put us all out of our
misery :-) I'm intrigued!

Nick

Old September 20th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"John Geddes" wrote in message
pete devlin wrote:
In message , John
Geddes writes

"However, due to your line being supplied using an incompatible
technology, it is currently not possible for your telephone line to
support broadband service. Please accept our apologies. We are
continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and this site
will be updated with developments as they happen."

Sounds like TPON. Did anyone ever get adsl on a TPON line or a new line
put in for free?

Just tried four other numbers for the same village. All say OK up to
1Mbps, so TPON is unlikely, if I understand correctly.

There are various services which are incompatible with broadband. The BT
Operator or the web site might provide you with a list.
Also look at www.adslguide.org.uk

--

Michael Chare

Old September 20th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jasper

wrote:

Sounds like TPON.

it has wording specific to TPON - "special fibre" from memory, so I'm
not sure.

Did anyone ever get adsl on a TPON line or a new line
put in for free?

"copper overlay" was and is being added to a number of TPON areas to
provide ADSL.

Phil

Copper overlay was always installed in tpon areas to carry alarm lines
compatible with redcare so even in tpon estates there will be limited
pairs of copper ....order a line for "alarm use" then order broadband
once installed

Jasper