Changed PC NTL broadband problem...

Old September 20th 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Changed PC NTL broadband problem...

I have recently bought a new PC.

I had NTL broadband installed and working fine on my old PC and shared
the internet through windows XP and a 2nd network card to a laptop.

On the first boot I plugged my new PC into the laptops network cable
with the old PC running the net connection and windows xp automatically
configured my net connection and registered windows.

Now I have tried to put the cable modem straight into the new PC but
the connection won't work.

I have tried installing broadband medic but that didn't help.

I have also tried rebooting the modem and PC and typing start.ntl into
the browser.

I have also tried to ping the IP address provided on the ntl forums (i
remember they ended in 83 and 84) but the connection was refused.

The old connection and laptop connection still work so it can't be the
cards or cables.

Has anyone got any ideas of what to try next?

Thanks very much,
Jon

Old September 20th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

wrote:
[...]

If you change the PC you will need to turn the cable modem off first,
the change over, turning on the cable modem & then the new PC...

You're lucky in the old days you had to leave the cable modem off for
over 4 hours if changing your PC.

A more elegant way may be for you to purchase a broadband Router (not
ADSL) & have that connected to your CM, then you can swap PC's to your
hearts content...