BT Yahoo - still got problems, a question on pings

Old September 20th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT Yahoo - still got problems, a question on pings

Hi,

Still got slowness, pausing, timeouts galore - but it varies - rebuilt
my machine from a known working ghost image from last year, still the
same.

I have a question on pings. If I ping sites that allow it, such as

www.yahoo.co.uk or www.claranet.co.uk

sometimes no problem, other times, that is most of the time, all I get
is anywhere between %25 and %75 loss. This seems very wrong to me.

I finally got customer support to forward the complaint - lets hope
the engineers do something.

Still, be interesting to see what others say about %100 successful
pings - with a break between them of course.

Thanks.
Old September 20th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:09:06 +0100, wrote:

sometimes no problem, other times, that is most of the time, all I get
is anywhere between %25 and %75 loss. This seems very wrong to me.

agreed, use WinMTR to collect a decent set of stats over 1000-5000
pings and email them the results. Also shows where it gets lost.
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/

windows ping only does 4 packets so 25, 50 and 75% means 1,2 or 3
packets lost which isn't a convincing argument in itself.

Phil

Old September 20th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex

Can anyone help ?
I should have been on Broadband since 16th August - am still waiting.
I get regular calls( well about twice a week) from them to say it
should now be working. I try it again and it does not connect. Now
they have told me to disconnected the telephone and the router from the
master box as it enters the house so they can do more tests on the
line. No one can give the the slightest idea when i will get on line.

A colleague at work said to me recently that I should not have a router
but I should have a broadband modem. Is that likely to be true.
The DSL light on the router is flashing - when apparently it should be
a solid light.

Any help gratefully received....as BT have already charged me for two
months Broadband, and I have yet to experience one second of it !

Alex

Old September 20th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex wrote:
Can anyone help ?
I should have been on Broadband since 16th August - am still waiting.
I get regular calls( well about twice a week) from them to say it
should now be working. I try it again and it does not connect. Now
they have told me to disconnected the telephone and the router from the
master box as it enters the house so they can do more tests on the
line. No one can give the the slightest idea when i will get on line.

Sounds like it's time to escalate to your Customer Service
Receptionist's team leader so they can get someone to take
responsibility for your problems. They really should be able to do
better than this (and usually do).

A colleague at work said to me recently that I should not have a router
but I should have a broadband modem. Is that likely to be true.
The DSL light on the router is flashing - when apparently it should be
a solid light.

Once your DSL is up and running, the DSL light on your router will stop
flashing. As discussed elsewhere, routers are handy for Number Address
Translation, which means in effect that you can become virtually
invisible from the outside world and less likely to get pinged by
potential attackers.

Nick

Old September 20th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Alex wrote:
Can anyone help ?
I should have been on Broadband since 16th August - am still waiting.
I get regular calls( well about twice a week) from them to say it
should now be working. I try it again and it does not connect. Now
they have told me to disconnected the telephone and the router from
the master box as it enters the house so they can do more tests on the
line. No one can give the the slightest idea when i will get on line.

A colleague at work said to me recently that I should not have a
router but I should have a broadband modem. Is that likely to be
true. The DSL light on the router is flashing - when apparently it
should be a solid light.

Any help gratefully received....as BT have already charged me for two
months Broadband, and I have yet to experience one second of it !

Alex

Your colleague obviously does not know enough to offer any advice. One
thing you could try, plug the router only, with no filters, directly to
the incoming line. If the DSL light is still flashing then get back to
your ISP.
--
Adrian A

Old September 20th 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:49:14 +0100, "Adrian" wrote:

Your colleague obviously does not know enough to offer any advice. One
thing you could try, plug the router only, with no filters, directly to
the incoming line. If the DSL light is still flashing then get back to
your ISP.

How will he do that? The cable from the router won't plug into the
line box without the filter, will it?

--
Tony
Old September 20th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:49:14 +0100, "Adrian"
scrawled:

Your colleague obviously does not know enough to offer any advice.

Agreed.

One
thing you could try, plug the router only, with no filters, directly to
the incoming line. If the DSL light is still flashing then get back to
your ISP.

Also, ensure all other analogue telephone equipment, such as phones,
faxes, Sky box etc..., are unplugged and if possible remove the lower
half of the BT master point to isolate the extension wiring.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old September 20th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Tony wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:49:14 +0100, "Adrian" wrote:

Your colleague obviously does not know enough to offer any advice.
One thing you could try, plug the router only, with no filters,
directly to the incoming line. If the DSL light is still flashing
then get back to your ISP.

How will he do that? The cable from the router won't plug into the
line box without the filter, will it?

It will with a BT to RJ11 adaptor. I did this a few months ago when I
was having problems.
--
Adrian A

Old September 20th 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:35:07 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:09:06 +0100, wrote:

sometimes no problem, other times, that is most of the time, all I get
is anywhere between %25 and %75 loss. This seems very wrong to me.

agreed, use WinMTR to collect a decent set of stats over 1000-5000
pings and email them the results. Also shows where it gets lost.
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/

windows ping only does 4 packets so 25, 50 and 75% means 1,2 or 3
packets lost which isn't a convincing argument in itself.

Phil

Hi.

Here's such logs - laughing I am not. Once I was able to logon and get
zero loss repeatedly, but atfer 30-40 logon's afterwards, always bad.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 217.47.202.58 - 32 | 29 | 20 | -7910 | 214296 | 60 | 0 |
| 217.47.70.161 - 23 | 27 | 21 | -550 | 204498 | 160 | -110 |
| 217.41.168.13 - 20 | 30 | 24 | -440 | 178949 | 170 | -60 |
| 217.41.168.78 - 37 | 22 | 14 | -160 | 306744 | 50 | -50 |
| 213.1.121.142 - 39 | 34 | 21 | -330 | 204514 | 110 | -330 |
| 213.1.121.106 - 15 | 21 | 18 | -170 | 238600 | 110 | 60 |
| 213.1.120.218 - 24 | 25 | 19 | -330 | 226006 | 60 | -330 |
| 10.0.2.5 - 25 | 29 | 22 | -270 | 195205 | 110 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 24 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 194.73.73.113 - 16 | 25 | 21 | -280 | 204457 | 60 | -170 |
WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir (
)