Is Zonealarm foolproof ??

Old September 20th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tarzan

Default Is Zonealarm foolproof ??

???

Old September 20th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In oups.com,
tarzan opined very noisily:
???

No ,are you ?
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old September 21st 05, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"tarzan" wrote in message
oups.com...
???

My experience for what it is worth is as follows;
I ran Zone Alarm for about 6 months but when I updated programmes or
introduced new ones I found I had to uninstall Zone Alarm and then reinstall
it which was a pain.
So on advice I downloaded AVG in place of Zone Alarm and since then I have
had no trouble with new programmes or updates.
AVG is more straightforward and not so intrusive
Blair

Old September 21st 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
. uk...
tarzan wrote:
???

It depends on the level of sophistication of the fool in question.

Quality!

Old September 21st 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Duck

In message
"Blair" wrote:

I ran Zone Alarm for about 6 months but when I updated programmes or
introduced new ones I found I had to uninstall Zone Alarm and then
reinstall it which was a pain.

I've not previously heard of such problem, nor experienced it in several
years' use of successive versions.

So on advice I downloaded AVG in place of Zone Alarm and since then I
have had no trouble with new programmes or updates.

AVG is more straightforward and not so intrusive

But IIRC it's an anti-virus programme, not a firewall (and as such, BTW,
needs to have its threats-database a.k.a. reference-file regularly
updated)

Both types are needed, plus such 'anti-spyware' progs as Adaware
(http://www.lavasoft.de) and/or Spybot S&D (http://security.kolla.de),
both also free for private use.

--
Peter Duck
Old September 21st 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:44:32 +0100, Peter Duck
wrote:

In message
"Blair" wrote:

I ran Zone Alarm for about 6 months but when I updated programmes or
introduced new ones I found I had to uninstall Zone Alarm and then
reinstall it which was a pain.

I've not previously heard of such problem, nor experienced it in several
years' use of successive versions.

I hadn't either until yesterday.

Then I upgraded to version 6, and only found out *afterwards* that
version 6 of Zonealarm prevents Cisco VPN clients from working :-(

Now I want to see if I can find a way to get back to version 5 without
losing all my settings. For the moment, I am just turning it off when
I use VPN (I do have a router with a built in stateful firewall, so
Zonealarm is only to stop any nasties from going outwards).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The calm confidence of a Christian with four Aces. - M.Twain
Old September 21st 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 21 Sep 2005 13:25, "Blair" wrote:

So on advice I downloaded AVG in place of Zone Alarm and since then I have
had no trouble with new programmes or updates.
AVG is more straightforward and not so intrusive

I didn't think AVG was a firewall, like Zone Alarm... puzzled... Peter M.

Old September 21st 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

AVG isn't a firewall, it's an anti-virus. For example, do a Shields Up
test on a PC with AVG only and it gets through, even if you're behind a
router. Add Zone Alarm and it asks you if the attempted break-in is
permitted, which while not fool-proof is a decent effort. The only
(tiny) downside to Zone Alarm is the RealPlayer-style marketing
nagging, but given that the basic product is FOC is small beer.

Nick

Old September 21st 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Gauton

In article ,
says...

(
http://www.lavasoft.de) and/or Spybot S&D (http://security.kolla.de),
both also free for private use.

Depends - he never said which version of AVG he's using - could be the
one with included Kerio firewall.

--
AG

Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.
Alan Gauton E-Mail agauton @ postmaster.co.uk

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour!
(Damon Hill - 16th June 1999)