Pipex regrade problem

Old September 20th 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
?uzzled

Default Pipex regrade problem

Having waited ages for my regrade to happen, I got an email today from Pipex
to say that my line will not support 1Mb. I have some figures from my router
and I was hoping if somebody could tell me if Pipex are right or not.

US Margin - 30
DS Margin - 31

Modulation - GDMT

LOS errors - 0

DS Line Attenuation - 41
US Line Attenuation - 48

I know it's something to do with the US and DS bit but I'm not sure which
parts.

I've checked my phone number on samknows and on the BT website and both say
my line is capable of 2Mb. According to samknows, I'm only 680m (straight
line distance) from the exchange.

So who's right ? Who's wrong ?

Thanks.

Old September 21st 05, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:47:30 +0100, "?uzzled" wrote:

US Margin - 30
DS Margin - 31

loads to spare in both directions

Modulation - GDMT
LOS errors - 0

DS Line Attenuation - 41
US Line Attenuation - 48

soemthing screwy there - Dlink no doubt - but the 41 dB is within the
2M limit, the 1M limit is 60 dB DS. If www.bt.com/broadband says 2M is
available and your ISP says no then its "MAC please..." time.

Phil

Old September 21st 05, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
?uzzled

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:47:30 +0100, "?uzzled" wrote:

US Margin - 30
DS Margin - 31

loads to spare in both directions

Modulation - GDMT
LOS errors - 0

DS Line Attenuation - 41
US Line Attenuation - 48

soemthing screwy there - Dlink no doubt - but the 41 dB is within the
2M limit, the 1M limit is 60 dB DS. If www.bt.com/broadband says 2M is
available and your ISP says no then its "MAC please..." time.

Phil

Yep, I have a Dlink G604T. With the US and DS numbers, is it preferable to
have high or low numbers ?

Thanks

Old September 21st 05, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:34:30 +0100, "?uzzled" wrote:

With the US and DS numbers, is it preferable to
have high or low numbers ?

more margin is good.

Less attenuation is also good.

So it depends which US and DS numbers you're looking at.
US=upstream, DS=downstream

Phil

Old September 21st 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Skokiaan

"?uzzled" wrote:

Having waited ages for my regrade to happen, I got an email today from Pipex
to say that my line will not support 1Mb. I have some figures from my router
and I was hoping if somebody could tell me if Pipex are right or not.

snipped

I had the same from Pipex. I appealed & sent my router stats to them but
they wouldn't follow it up, they claimed that the upgrade was rejected by
BT after testing. I was annoyed & migrated. I had to pay my new ISP 15.99
for a manual upgrade which went thro' with no problems. I think that it
costs Pipex money to request BT to retest the line which Pipex are
reluctant to pay.
Old September 21st 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
?uzzled

"Skokiaan" wrote in message
"?uzzled" wrote:

Having waited ages for my regrade to happen, I got an email today from
Pipex
to say that my line will not support 1Mb. I have some figures from my
router
and I was hoping if somebody could tell me if Pipex are right or not.

snipped

I had the same from Pipex. I appealed & sent my router stats to them but
they wouldn't follow it up, they claimed that the upgrade was rejected by
BT after testing. I was annoyed & migrated. I had to pay my new ISP 15.99
for a manual upgrade which went thro' with no problems. I think that it
costs Pipex money to request BT to retest the line which Pipex are
reluctant to pay.

I've asked Pipex to put in a manual request for an upgrade. They said they
would try but couldn't guarantee anything. If they still can't then I guess
I'll migrate.

Does anybody know if it is possible to ask a potential ISP what speed you
could get or do you have to put the order in first before you'll know what
speed line they can give you ? I was thinking of going with Plusnet. Any
reasons why I should or shouldn't go with them ?

Thanks.

Old September 22nd 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:43:38 +0100, "?uzzled" wrote:

I've asked Pipex to put in a manual request for an upgrade. They said they
would try but couldn't guarantee anything. If they still can't then I guess
I'll migrate.

Does anybody know if it is possible to ask a potential ISP what speed you
could get or do you have to put the order in first before you'll know what
speed line they can give you ? I was thinking of going with Plusnet. Any
reasons why I should or shouldn't go with them ?

Depends on whether or not you take heed of what you read in this
newsgroup.
It seems to me that there are more & more gripes about Plusnet every
day.

Don't be fooled into thinking that cheapest is best; it rarely is.

--
Tony )