adsl microfilters - positioning?

Old September 21st 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Default adsl microfilters - positioning?

I'm contemplating a leap from cable to adsl, but could use the group's
advice on microfilter positioning.

The house has a fairly extensive set of phone extension wires, which
come to a common point at the master phone socket; we have 3 phones
connected, but several sockets elsewhere. I'm wondering whether a
single adsl filter at the master socket would be appropriate, with the
house extension wiring connected to the filter's phone output. This
would avoid issues with the adsl signal and the quality and length of
extension wiring, and obviate mishaps with missing filters elsewhere. Is
there any intrinsic limit on the number of phones that can wire to a
single adsl filter?

TIA.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old September 21st 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mike Scott wrote:
The house has a fairly extensive set of phone extension wires, which
come to a common point at the master phone socket; we have 3 phones
connected, but several sockets elsewhere. I'm wondering whether a
single adsl filter at the master socket would be appropriate, with the
house extension wiring connected to the filter's phone output.

I have a couple of DECT base stations and an analogue fax on the same
piece of wire connected to a micro filter in the master socket. No
problems to report.

Nick

Old September 21st 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
I'm contemplating a leap from cable to adsl, but could use the group's
advice on microfilter positioning.

The house has a fairly extensive set of phone extension wires, which come
to a common point at the master phone socket; we have 3 phones connected,
but several sockets elsewhere. I'm wondering whether a single adsl filter
at the master socket would be appropriate, with the house extension wiring
connected to the filter's phone output. This would avoid issues with the
adsl signal and the quality and length of extension wiring, and obviate
mishaps with missing filters elsewhere. Is there any intrinsic limit on
the number of phones that can wire to a single adsl filter?

That is what I have done, Originally I had a dialler box connected this way,
so it was simple to just plug in the filter!

You could get a new filtered faceplate instead, and replace the lower half
of your master socket (If it one of these
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5_front_normal.jpg )

Here is a guider on how to swap it over...
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

This does of course mean your modem or router needs to be near the master
socket (You cant plug in another filter to an already filtered extension and
use that if you have the filtered face plate on)

Sparks...

Old September 21st 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:36:50 GMT, Mike Scott
scrawled:

I'm wondering whether a
single adsl filter at the master socket would be appropriate, with the
house extension wiring connected to the filter's phone output. This
would avoid issues with the adsl signal and the quality and length of
extension wiring, and obviate mishaps with missing filters elsewhere. Is
there any intrinsic limit on the number of phones that can wire to a
single adsl filter?

I use a faceplate filter, such as the one from ADSL Nation or Clarity,
on most ADSL installs and have one here at home with many sockets and
at least 4 or 5 phones connected. They are also a better quality
filter than the cheap dangly ones.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old September 21st 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Leveled

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:36:50 GMT, Mike Scott
scrawled:

I'm wondering whether a
single adsl filter at the master socket would be appropriate, with the
house extension wiring connected to the filter's phone output. This
would avoid issues with the adsl signal and the quality and length of
extension wiring, and obviate mishaps with missing filters elsewhere. Is
there any intrinsic limit on the number of phones that can wire to a
single adsl filter?

I use a faceplate filter, such as the one from ADSL Nation or Clarity,
on most ADSL installs and have one here at home with many sockets and
at least 4 or 5 phones connected. They are also a better quality
filter than the cheap dangly ones.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

The B.T man that visited me did not recommend that way ,I have had to put an
extension lead from the main socket to the proximity of the computer,then a
filter ,one lead to the computer and ,doubler(could be a tripler)and a long
lead to the other phones, my original four sockets have been scrapped .I
have three walk around phones and one direct coupled . This way only one
filter is needed and This now works but drops,very occasionally. When the
filter was at the main socket (in my loft) it only stayed connected for
short periods. I am though a long way from my exchange. Regards E

Old September 21st 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
I'm contemplating a leap from cable to adsl, but could use the group's
advice on microfilter positioning.

The house has a fairly extensive set of phone extension wires, which come
to a common point at the master phone socket; we have 3 phones connected,
but several sockets elsewhere. I'm wondering whether a single adsl filter
at the master socket would be appropriate, with the house extension wiring
connected to the filter's phone output. This would avoid issues with the
adsl signal and the quality and length of extension wiring, and obviate
mishaps with missing filters elsewhere. Is there any intrinsic limit on
the number of phones that can wire to a single adsl filter?

Similar setup here to other replies. I have two sky boxes and one phone
plugged into a 3 way splitter which plugs into adsl filter.

Old September 21st 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:19:36 +0100, "Leveled"
scrawled:

The B.T man that visited me did not recommend that way ,I have had to put an
extension lead from the main socket to the proximity of the computer,then a
filter ,one lead to the computer and ,doubler(could be a tripler)and a long
lead to the other phones, my original four sockets have been scrapped .I
have three walk around phones and one direct coupled . This way only one
filter is needed and This now works but drops,very occasionally. When the
filter was at the main socket (in my loft) it only stayed connected for
short periods. I am though a long way from my exchange. Regards E

That's because your situation is different and I wouldn't recommend it
either, although I don't think I'd have recommended that method of
doing it either.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old September 22nd 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Leveled

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

How do you think I should do this ? as I may modify my set up to use the
sockets I have in place, but at this moment things aren't too bad , I am
about 5 miles from the exchange in a rural area . All the cables on the
poles in the area look tired and my lead comes into my loft and is rolled
into a coil. to (shorten) before connection to the main socket. B. T had
previously wired my sockets from here. B.T pulled the front off for me to
plug in to the socket and there it sits open .Though works quite well. Kind
Regards E

Old September 22nd 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:46:36 +0100, "Leveled"
scrawled:

How do you think I should do this ? as I may modify my set up to use the
sockets I have in place, but at this moment things aren't too bad , I am
about 5 miles from the exchange in a rural area . All the cables on the
poles in the area look tired and my lead comes into my loft and is rolled
into a coil. to (shorten) before connection to the main socket. B. T had
previously wired my sockets from here. B.T pulled the front off for me to
plug in to the socket and there it sits open .Though works quite well. Kind
Regards E

It sounds like maybe your extension wiring is a bit ropey. I'd be
inclined to rewire them if possible and use a modified filtered
faceplate. I'd also get rid of this 'coil' that BT seem to have strewn
in the loft.

To do it without rewiring then maybe just use a standard faceplate
filter and then just run the one lead from that to the modem. The
other sockets will then work from the master socket again.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group