BT Filtered Socket Installation?

Old September 22nd 05, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Skokiaan

Default BT Filtered Socket Installation?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the cost of getting BT to
move & replace a master socket with a filtered one. Has anyone had it done?
Its only about 30 to 40mins worth of work plus the cost of the socket. Do
they publish a scale of charges anywhere?

I've tried phoning them but just got a call centre somewhere which didn't
seem to understand what I wanted.

Chris
Old September 22nd 05, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:21:16 +0100, Skokiaan
wrote:

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the cost of getting BT to
move & replace a master socket with a filtered one. Has anyone had it done?
Its only about 30 to 40mins worth of work plus the cost of the socket. Do
they publish a scale of charges anywhere?

BT pricelist http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/homepage.htm

sounds like you want an internal shift, 105 inc VAT
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/12941.htm

no idea how to get BT to put a filtered faceplate on, buy one from
ADSLnation or clarity.it and "free issue" it to the guy moving the
box, or DIY when he's finished ?

Phil

Old September 22nd 05, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Skokiaan wrote:

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the cost of getting
BT to move & replace a master socket with a filtered one. Has anyone
had it done? Its only about 30 to 40mins worth of work plus the cost
of the socket. Do they publish a scale of charges anywhere?

I've tried phoning them but just got a call centre somewhere which
didn't seem to understand what I wanted.

Chris

It will cost an arm and a leg to get BT to move it.

Why do you want to move it - is it because you want the master socket close
to your ADSL kit so that you can put a filtered faceplace and plug the kit
directly into it? If so, it would be a lot cheaper to fit your filtered
faceplate into the existing master socket, and run a digital extension to
the appropraite location. All the bits you need are here -
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

[Clarity had used to do a modified filtered facplace with IDC connectors on
the back for hardwiring a digital extension - but I can't find it on their
site now. Anyone know whether they still do it?]
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 22nd 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cheney

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in
:

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm
Old September 22nd 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:54:33 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

[Clarity had used to do a modified filtered facplace with IDC connectors on
the back for hardwiring a digital extension - but I can't find it on their
site now. Anyone know whether they still do it?]

yes its the standard, ADSLnation stock the same thing.
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

scroll down for the machine screws to go with it.

Phil

Old September 22nd 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Chris Cheney %no%spam%please wrote:

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in
:

[Clarity had used to do a modified filtered facplace with IDC
connectors on the back for hardwiring a digital extension - but I
can't find it on their site now. Anyone know whether they still do
it?]

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

Ta! They've changed the design - and the link - so my old link doesn't work.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 23rd 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Skokiaan

"Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Skokiaan wrote:

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the cost of getting
BT to move & replace a master socket with a filtered one. Has anyone
had it done? Its only about 30 to 40mins worth of work plus the cost
of the socket. Do they publish a scale of charges anywhere?

I've tried phoning them but just got a call centre somewhere which
didn't seem to understand what I wanted.

Chris

It will cost an arm and a leg to get BT to move it.

Why do you want to move it - is it because you want the master socket close
to your ADSL kit so that you can put a filtered faceplace and plug the kit
directly into it? If so, it would be a lot cheaper to fit your filtered
faceplate into the existing master socket, and run a digital extension to
the appropraite location. All the bits you need are here -

snipped

Thanks for the all replies & links:

Its not for me, I already have one fitted, (Done free under the old
BTopenworld pre-reg scheme) its for my daughter's house.

Looks like it's classed as an external shift, still quite expensive tho'
at 75 & looking at their price list, they don't seem to supply the
filtered faceplates anymore.

So, looks like I'll have to consider my options, moving the master socket
is easy as the external cable runs down the wall close the bedroom window
anyway. I was hoping to avoid doing it myself as BT get a bit upset if they
find you've messed with their master socket wiring.

Thanks for all the info

Chris
Old September 23rd 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Skokiaan wrote:
"Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Skokiaan wrote:

[...]

If you do it to an adequate standard, then who's to know??

Old September 23rd 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Skokiaan wrote:
"Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Skokiaan wrote:

[...]