DG834 and BT problem?

Old September 22nd 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

Default DG834 and BT problem?

Hello,

I am trying to connect to the Internet using a Netgear DG834 and BT
Business broadband.

Story so far goes .....

1. My son in law can attach his laptop to the router and he gets onto
the Net.

2. I have installed a Netgear FA311 NIC on their desktop PC.

3. I can connect to the router from this PC and see the router config
but cannot connect to the Net either using IE or pinging any websites.

Any ideas what I should be doing?

Do I have to set up another Connection? In fact tried this and still
couldn't connect to the Net..

Cheers

Geoff
Old September 22nd 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Geoff Cox wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to connect to the Internet using a Netgear DG834 and BT
Business broadband.

Story so far goes .....

1. My son in law can attach his laptop to the router and he gets onto
the Net.

2. I have installed a Netgear FA311 NIC on their desktop PC.

3. I can connect to the router from this PC and see the router config
but cannot connect to the Net either using IE or pinging any websites.

Any ideas what I should be doing?

Do I have to set up another Connection? In fact tried this and still
couldn't connect to the Net..

I know it's a simple answer/question, but you have set the PC to connect
to the web via the LAN & you have set up the firwall accordingly,
haven't you?

Old September 22nd 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Geoff Cox" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to connect to the Internet using a Netgear DG834 and BT
Business broadband.

Story so far goes .....

1. My son in law can attach his laptop to the router and he gets onto
the Net.

2. I have installed a Netgear FA311 NIC on their desktop PC.

3. I can connect to the router from this PC and see the router config
but cannot connect to the Net either using IE or pinging any websites.

Any ideas what I should be doing?

Do I have to set up another Connection? In fact tried this and still
couldn't connect to the Net..

Cheers

Geoff

Check to see if a MAC address restriction hasn't been activated in the
router config page. You can lock down the router so that only registered MAC
addresses can access the net.

Check the DNS settings on the PC.

Old September 22nd 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:35:51 +0100, "Kraftee"
please we're bristish.com wrote:

I know it's a simple answer/question, but you have set the PC to connect
to the web via the LAN & you have set up the firwall accordingly,
haven't you?

You're on the right track but the explanation is even more
embarrassing. The ADSL modem/router wasn't connected to the
telephone!! Son-in-law removed it and I had failed to follow my own
philosophy of first checking the obvious!

'umble apologies.

Cheers

Geoff

Old September 22nd 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:18:27 +0000, Geoff Cox wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:35:51 +0100, "Kraftee"
please we're bristish.com wrote:

I know it's a simple answer/question, but you have set the PC to connect
to the web via the LAN & you have set up the firwall accordingly,
haven't you?

You're on the right track but the explanation is even more
embarrassing. The ADSL modem/router wasn't connected to the
telephone!! Son-in-law removed it and I had failed to follow my own
philosophy of first checking the obvious!

'umble apologies.

Cheers

Geoff

Dont worry, we have all been there...

Dave

Old September 22nd 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

dave stanton wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:18:27 +0000, Geoff Cox wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:35:51 +0100, "Kraftee"
please we're bristish.com wrote:

I know it's a simple answer/question, but you have set the PC to
connect to the web via the LAN & you have set up the firwall
accordingly, haven't you?

You're on the right track but the explanation is even more
embarrassing. The ADSL modem/router wasn't connected to the
telephone!! Son-in-law removed it and I had failed to follow my own
philosophy of first checking the obvious!

'umble apologies.

Cheers

Geoff

Dont worry, we have all been there...

Some of us more than once (who me????) ;-)