Disconnecting from BT Broadband at regular times?

Old September 22nd 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pjn

Default Disconnecting from BT Broadband at regular times?

Hello all,

My BT Broadband internet connection keeps dropping at regular times,
then reconnecting a minute or so later. I started to keep a note of the
times and noticed it appears to happen at the same times, e.g. 9:20 pm,
10:50pm etc.

I've checked for adware programs, scheduled tasks, virus, cleaned the
registry, looked at msconfig for startup programs but the problem still
persists.

I logged a call to BT who checked the line and give the okay.

I've started to uninstall programs one by one I'm getting that
desperate. I've even sat glued to the process manager watching what
happens when it disconnects, but no clues.

Any ideas on what to try next?

big thanks.

Paul.

Old September 22nd 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 22 Sep 2005 13:36:36 -0700, [pjn] said :-

Hello all,

My BT Broadband internet connection keeps dropping at regular times,
then reconnecting a minute or so later. I started to keep a note of the
times and noticed it appears to happen at the same times, e.g. 9:20 pm,
10:50pm etc.

I've checked for adware programs, scheduled tasks, virus, cleaned the
registry, looked at msconfig for startup programs but the problem still
persists.

I logged a call to BT who checked the line and give the okay.

I've started to uninstall programs one by one I'm getting that
desperate. I've even sat glued to the process manager watching what
happens when it disconnects, but no clues.

Any ideas on what to try next?

If these times are pretty much consistent, then this would indicate a
timed source. What about interference from some form of lighting
circuit that automatically comes on ? - possibly skybox asking for
update, connection ? (if you have one - is it filtered ?).
Old September 23rd 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Spin Dryer" wrote in message
On 22 Sep 2005 13:36:36 -0700, [pjn] said :-

Hello all,

My BT Broadband internet connection keeps dropping at regular times,
then reconnecting a minute or so later. I started to keep a note of the
times and noticed it appears to happen at the same times, e.g. 9:20 pm,
10:50pm etc.

[snip]

If these times are pretty much consistent, then this would indicate a
timed source. What about interference from some form of lighting
circuit that automatically comes on ? - possibly skybox asking for
update, connection ? (if you have one - is it filtered ?).

If it consistently happens at the same times every day, you could try
temporarily altering the clock on your computer by (say) 15 minutes and see
if it still happens at the same times. If it does, then the problem is
probably not due to a rogue process running on your PC at specific times.

I'd be inclined to say that it's some other device that is kicking in at
specific times - such as an unfiltered Sky box or other device that
activates automatically at set times, as Spin Dryer says. To be certain, try
unplugging all phones and phone-like devices (fax, skybox) and see if it
still happens. Or else lift one of the handsets and listen for any noise at
the relevant time such as another device trying to dial.

Old September 23rd 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hello Paul,

Are you using a router?

The Netgear type usually have a facility for disconnecting after a
period of inactivity (say 15 minutes). I have found that this is not
always reliable and has a habit of disconnecting regardless.

HTH
Stephen

Old September 24th 05, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pjn

Thanks to all for the ideas.

I only have one microfiltered phone on the line. I do have skybox,
though it is disconnected already.

I don't have a router, it's an internal ADSL modem (conextant). I
checked the settings and it's set to never log out automatically if
idle.

Changing the clock time's something I'll try. Good idea. From that I'll
be able to work out if it's an external source that's causing the
problem or on my computer.

I'll try listening on the line during the disconnection too.

If I think back, I had a trouble free year when it was 1MB broadband.
I automatically got upgraded to 2MB and my problems started shortly
after. Don't know if that's coincidental or not.

I've tried turning on the audit log feature of the modem, but the
output is seriously techie stuff and hurts my head. What it doesn't say
is 'Disconnected blah blah blah ...'. The log doesn't appear to change
much in appearance during the disconnected times. If changing the
clock proves it's on my computer, I'll go back and try to decipher
what's it's saying.

Big thanks to all again for taking the time to help out.

Old September 24th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

pjn wrote:
Thanks to all for the ideas.

I only have one microfiltered phone on the line. I do have skybox,
though it is disconnected already.

I don't have a router, it's an internal ADSL modem (conextant). I
checked the settings and it's set to never log out automatically if
idle.

Changing the clock time's something I'll try. Good idea. From that
I'll be able to work out if it's an external source that's causing the
problem or on my computer.

I'll try listening on the line during the disconnection too.

If I think back, I had a trouble free year when it was 1MB broadband.
I automatically got upgraded to 2MB and my problems started shortly
after. Don't know if that's coincidental or not.

Could well be, the increase in speed will erode your SNR by about 6dB,
so if you were low with 1MB it could have taken you over the edge & the
drop outs timing could be just coincidental. The signal also has to be
stronger so if your loop attenuation is high & & SNR is low you're just
looking for trouble.

It 's a pity that your modem can't give you any line condition stats as
that could give a good indication (if they're accurate)