Plusnet Speed Restrictions.

Old September 22nd 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

Default Plusnet Speed Restrictions.

Hi,

I am with Plus.net on the broadband plus package at 14.99. All is well but
I notice that all my p2p downloads are running at a maximum of 10 KB/s. I
knews there about these restrictions but i was under the impression that it
was only during peak hours. My downloads are like this at all hours.

Email and web browsing are all fine and at full speed. It's not a big
problem but does anyone know if the same would apply on the premier package?

Old September 22nd 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
woooshuk

Email and web browsing are all fine and at full speed. It's not a big
problem but does anyone know if the same would apply on the premier
package?

The premier package is also crippled only to a lesser extent. Approx
30KB/s.

Old September 22nd 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"woooshuk" wrote in message

Email and web browsing are all fine and at full speed. It's not a big
problem but does anyone know if the same would apply on the premier
package?

The premier package is also crippled only to a lesser extent. Approx
30KB/s.

If you count a p2p download at over 170KB/s "crippled" then...ok...

Old September 22nd 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Soutar

I have a 512K premier, and I have no problems. On good torrents I get 55KB/s
or more. Some torrents are poor, however that is not a plusnet issue, but a
problem with the number of users in the torrent swarm.

Soapy

Old September 23rd 05, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I'm on Premier package and downloading a horizon documentary at 215Kb/s on
premier package and I haven't noticed Plusnet throttling my connection since
I've been with them! I migrated from Pipex to Plusnet about 6 weeks ago
because Pipex were startling to throttle my connection for all uses during
peak hours and I was paying 34 for 2Mb! They were slowing it down to about
60Kb/s.

I think if I have read correctly that P2P is throttled most of the time on
broadband plus and is only throttled on premier if you exceed 30GB during
peak hours 4-10PM in a single month. Outside these hours it shouldn't be
throttled. Someone correct me If I am wrong.

I mainly use Bittorrent for my P2P use (american tv shows). I think a
problem ISP's face with throttling Bittorrent traffic is not all of the
traffic is illegal whereas the likes of Kazaa normally are.

Dan

Old September 23rd 05, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Gareth :-\) voom wrote:
Hi,

I am with Plus.net on the broadband plus package at 14.99. All is well but
I notice that all my p2p downloads are running at a maximum of 10 KB/s. I
knews there about these restrictions but i was under the impression that it
was only during peak hours. My downloads are like this at all hours.

In on the Plus tariff too, I notice that downloading a lot of headers from
Usenet service individual.net is very slow, (almost dial-up speed) nothing
else I use seems affected. I assume that Port 119 is crippled by PlusNet then ?

--
Mark
Old September 23rd 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

James wrote on Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:23:31 +0100:

"woooshuk" wrote in message ...

Email and web browsing are all fine and at full speed. It's not a big
problem but does anyone know if the same would apply on the premier
package?

The premier package is also crippled only to a lesser extent. Approx
30KB/s.

If you count a p2p download at over 170KB/s "crippled" then...ok...

I was just thinking the same thing ... haven't noticed any "crippling" on my
p2p yet.

Dan

Old September 23rd 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MikeB (Look At End Of Message For Real Address)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:23:31 +0100, "James"
wrote:

"woooshuk" wrote in message

The premier package is also crippled only to a lesser extent. Approx
30KB/s.

If you count a p2p download at over 170KB/s "crippled" then...ok...

Erhm, OK, probably a very stupid question as I don't use or even know
anything about p2p/bittorrent etc but I'm going to ask anyway

If data is being u/l'd from one machine via any old broadband
connection, how can the d/l speed be in excess of the normal ~30KB/s
u/l speed ? .... or is it buffered somewhere along the way ?

--
Mike
email: mikeb at twowheels dot plus dot com
Old September 23rd 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Mark Carver wrote:
Gareth :-\) voom wrote:

Hi,

I am with Plus.net on the broadband plus package at 14.99. All is
well but
I notice that all my p2p downloads are running at a maximum of 10 KB/s. I
knews there about these restrictions but i was under the impression
that it
was only during peak hours. My downloads are like this at all hours.

In on the Plus tariff too, I notice that downloading a lot of headers
from Usenet service individual.net is very slow, (almost dial-up speed)
nothing else I use seems affected. I assume that Port 119 is crippled by
PlusNet then ?

Hi there,

We don't block or throttle any ports for this purpose. All our traffic
management is achieved with the use of advanced deep packet inspection
equipment from Ellacoya.
http://www.ellacoya.com/

BB+ is likely to see P2P speeds between the 10 and 20KB/s mark. All our
accounts are managed to some extent but I would not expect 30KB/s on a
2MB Premier account.

For more details surrounding prioritisation, please see the online
documentation available he-
http://portal.plus.net/support/featu...nagement.shtml

It is not designed to hinder usage but maintain the quality of time
sensitive applications such as video-on-demand, VOIP, gaming, email and
browsing etc. By slowing the more bandwidth heavy, non-latency specific
traffic such as P2P during busy times, we are ensuring we are protecting
the quality of service for customers going forwards. Premier users may
see some slight decreases in their P2P speeds during busy times, but
nothing overly significant.

I'm currently downloading from Easynews at 230Kbps.

Kind Regards,

Old September 23rd 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:
Gareth :-\) voom wrote:

Hi,

I am with Plus.net on the broadband plus package at 14.99. All is
well but
I notice that all my p2p downloads are running at a maximum of 10 KB/s.

knews there about these restrictions but i was under the impression
that it
was only during peak hours. My downloads are like this at all hours.

In on the Plus tariff too, I notice that downloading a lot of headers
from Usenet service individual.net is very slow, (almost dial-up speed)
nothing else I use seems affected. I assume that Port 119 is crippled by
PlusNet then ?

Hi there,

We don't block or throttle any ports for this purpose. All our traffic
management is achieved with the use of advanced deep packet inspection
equipment from Ellacoya.
http://www.ellacoya.com/

BB+ is likely to see P2P speeds between the 10 and 20KB/s mark. All our
accounts are managed to some extent but I would not expect 30KB/s on a
2MB Premier account.

For more details surrounding prioritisation, please see the online
documentation available he-
http://portal.plus.net/support/featu...nagement.shtml

It is not designed to hinder usage but maintain the quality of time
sensitive applications such as video-on-demand, VOIP, gaming, email and
browsing etc. By slowing the more bandwidth heavy, non-latency specific
traffic such as P2P during busy times, we are ensuring we are protecting
the quality of service for customers going forwards. Premier users may
see some slight decreases in their P2P speeds during busy times, but
nothing overly significant.

I'm currently downloading from Easynews at 230Kbps.

Kind Regards,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. www.plus.net

Hi Bob,

If I upgrade to premier via my online account how long does it usually take
and what happens to my billing? Will I be billed on the same date? I just
rang Plusnet but the line says there are waiting times of over 20 minutes so
I'll give that a miss