RJ11 or Cat5 ADSL ext. lead?

Old September 23rd 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sukalor

Default RJ11 or Cat5 ADSL ext. lead?

Hi,
Can someone please tell me which is the right lead to use as my pc i
in the back of the house and when my broadband is activated I will hav
to extend by approx 15metres.
Cheers
Sukalo

--
Sukalor
Old September 23rd 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSpreader

Sukalor wrote in
:

Hi,
Can someone please tell me which is the right lead to use as my
pc is in the back of the house and when my broadband is
activated I will have to extend by approx 15metres.
Cheers
Sukalor

IMO The simplest approach would be to install a telephone extension
socket near to your PC. You can buy d-i-y kits at stores such as
B&Q etc.
Old September 23rd 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

IMO The simplest approach would be to install a telephone extension
socket near to your PC. You can buy d-i-y kits at stores such as
B&Q etc.

Just make sure that the cable is twisted pair and not the usual B&Q rubbish!

Peter Crosland

Old September 23rd 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Sukalor wrote:

Hi,
Can someone please tell me which is the right lead to use as my pc is
in the back of the house and when my broadband is activated I will have
to extend by approx 15metres.
Cheers
Sukalor

--
Sukalor

Depends a lot on how good your broadband will be, are you near the
exchange ?
A DIY extension may lose you a few dB (especially if it is in flat
cable) and that could cause trouble on a poor line. Using twisted cable
will be OK, and gives you a phone at the far end too by splitting there.
Do you have that already for a dial-up modem ?

The alternative is putting the router/modem by the phone socket and
having a long network lead, or go wireless.

Bill
Old September 25th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 23 Sep 2005 22:55, Bill wrote:

The alternative is putting the router/modem by the phone socket and
having a long network lead, or go wireless.

I'd go that way (router nearer rather than extended phone line) and a
cable rather than wireless to reach the router... less to go wrong!