Draytek 2200USB with Speedtouch 330 Modem on BTOpenworld...

Old September 23rd 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ZXL

Default Draytek 2200USB with Speedtouch 330 Modem on BTOpenworld...

Just wondered if anybody else has had trouble with their 2200USB Draytek
routers recently on BTOpenworld?

Symptoms are that 1 or 2 times a day the Draytek just seems to shutdown.
Modem lights are off, and the Draytek USB & Link lights associated with the
USB port the modem is plugged into are off.... needless to say I can't
access the internet (or the Draytek) when this happens - can't even ping the
Draytek from the inside network - only remedy is to switch off / on the
Draytek.... wait 30 seconds whilst it does the modem software load & ISP
connect and I'm working again.....

I've had the router for about 3 years... and up until 3 months ago no
problems with it whatsoever. I've done the usual firmware upgrades on the
router (currently on 2.3.7 - although I know 2.3.10 is available it isn't
UK-tuned)... Firmware last upgraded in March...

So - fingers point to what happened 3 months ago.... I got a 512K - 2MB
upgrade....

Now this is where things get interesting - I though it must be the new line
speed...... so to elimate this I unplugged the Draytek and connected my
laptop to the modem and dialled up - and left on... for days - no
problems....

So doesn't look like its the modem nor probs with BTOpenworld / line
itself.... I setup an ISA 2004 server - plugged the modem into that - no
probs for a month.... so looks like something is wrong with the Draytek...?

So - I completely factory reset the draytek, set the PPPoA VCI VPI values
and configed my ISP username/password..... lasts a day and bang - back to
the same problem.....

I am certain I've read something about dodgy flash memory / RAM in
Drayteks... that suspiciously makes them unreliable after 2-3 years....
anybody else read about this? (like the famed Sony 'blow up just after
Warranty expires' chips :-))

Just want a general feel about other experiences with ref to reliability of
2200USB's..... I've seen a LOT on Ebay recently... is this the reason
why????? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and someone else who is on 2MB
BTOpenworld service having similar probs...? I'd like to know if anyone has
had these type of symptoms and going back to a 512K service made things
stable again?????

Comments / advise / help greatfully recived!

-Z

Old September 24th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"ZXL" wrote in message

[snip]

Just want a general feel about other experiences with ref
to reliability of 2200USB's..... I've seen a LOT on Ebay
recently... is this the reason why????? Or am I barking
up the wrong tree and someone else who is on 2MB
BTOpenworld service having similar probs...? I'd like to
know if anyone has had these type of symptoms and going
back to a 512K service made things stable again?????
Comments / advise / help greatfully recived!

The 2200USB is a strange beast. I had one for a couple of years with an
Alcatel "frog" modem and it worked ok until I wanted to try VoIP. I just
couldn't get it to work properly, ended up buying a Netgear modem/router
which worked fine. Never did find out what the problem was, strange, as
Draytek are usually very reliable products.

Ivor

Old September 25th 05, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:24:37 +0000 (UTC), "ZXL"
wrote:

Comments / advise / help greatfully recived!

The 2200 USB is only officially rated at 1Mb d/l speeds. The max I
could get with 2Mb ADSL was 165KB/s (the max is 242). I didn't have
any stability issues though, just the 'throttling'.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old September 25th 05, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Sep 2005 00:24, Dr Teeth wrote:

The 2200 USB is only officially rated at 1Mb d/l speeds.

Thanks for that - one more black mark against USB modems, this one in
particular :-) I guess we'll soon be seeing lots of s/h gear which is
incapable of handline ADSL 2, when those who can, go over 8000 kbps.

Old September 25th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ZXL

I've ditched it now, am using ISA 2004 instead...

So far no problems - must just be a dodgy router!

. net...

Old September 25th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

ZXL wrote:

I am certain I've read something about dodgy flash memory / RAM in
Drayteks... that suspiciously makes them unreliable after 2-3 years....
anybody else read about this? (like the famed Sony 'blow up just after
Warranty expires' chips :-))

I may have a manifestation of this, a 2500 that occasionally forgets the
VCI/VPI settings. However I do also wonder if this is linked to the
boot order of PC's. I think if the (temporary) XP one goes first ....

Any more thoughts ?

Bill