Networking

Old September 24th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default Networking

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:16:00 GMT, "Mad Ad"
(at)ntlworld(dot)[email protected] wrote:

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (v2.2), got it for 40 on a 'collect in store'
knock down price from that horrible pcworld. It got an uplink port for the
cablemodem, has a 4 port switch for the lan (switch is just like a hub- plug
in as you are already) and of course it has 2 wi-fi aerials on it for 54g
and b connections.

I'm not sure if you are suggesting this but I don't think the fact
that it has 'two aerials' is anything to do with the fact that it
supports the two WiFi standards (b/g) (you probably aren't but I
though it could be read that way)?

I *thought* the two aerials were 'diversity' (is it?) where it will
automatically switch to the aerial that provides the best signal at
the time?

Before I read that somewhere *I* thought one might be transmit and the
other receive ..?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. If I'm correct here, does that suggest that WiFi devices (mainly
routers / AP's here) that only have a single aerial are 'lesser
beasts' than their twin twig brothers?

Old September 24th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:24:01 GMT, T i m wrote:

p.s. If I'm correct here, does that suggest that WiFi devices (mainly
routers / AP's here) that only have a single aerial are 'lesser
beasts' than their twin twig brothers?

yes. less diversity and you cant put them at angles \ / to increase
cover if you only have one.

Phil

Old September 24th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:24:01 GMT, T i m scrawled:

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:16:00 GMT, "Mad Ad"
(at)ntlworld(dot)[email protected] wrote:

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (v2.2), got it for 40 on a 'collect in store'
knock down price from that horrible pcworld. It got an uplink port for the
cablemodem, has a 4 port switch for the lan (switch is just like a hub- plug
in as you are already) and of course it has 2 wi-fi aerials on it for 54g
and b connections.

lol, no wonder you shop at PC World.

I'm not sure if you are suggesting this but I don't think the fact
that it has 'two aerials' is anything to do with the fact that it
supports the two WiFi standards (b/g) (you probably aren't but I
though it could be read that way)?

I *thought* the two aerials were 'diversity' (is it?) where it will
automatically switch to the aerial that provides the best signal at
the time?

Sounds good to me.

Before I read that somewhere *I* thought one might be transmit and the
other receive ..?

Obviously, I knew exactly what they were since before they were
invented.

p.s. If I'm correct here, does that suggest that WiFi devices (mainly
routers / AP's here) that only have a single aerial are 'lesser
beasts' than their twin twig brothers?

Sort of, depends what you want to do with them. Personally, I've found
the cards in devices them selves to be the weak link rather than AP's
etc... so a cheap AP with one aerial will still do an admirable job.
As always, horses for courses.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old September 25th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

p.s. If I'm correct here, does that suggest that WiFi devices (mainly
routers / AP's here) that only have a single aerial are 'lesser
beasts' than their twin twig brothers?

Sort of, depends what you want to do with them. Personally, I've found
the cards in devices them selves to be the weak link rather than AP's
etc... so a cheap AP with one aerial will still do an admirable job.
As always, horses for courses.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Been playing with some pre-N at work, and this is indeed the case. BTW
the router has 3 aerials.

Now what was it, 1 transmit, 1 receive and what for the 3rd

Bill